: Adding more RAM to my MAC Mini

robertanmd
Dec 11th, 2007, 10:47 PM
I just received a new MAC Mini & I also have two 1GB 200-PIN SODIMM upgrades. The only problem I am having now, I see no way of opening the Mini case to install the upgrades. Can anyone help shed light on my problem. I can't ask Apple about this because it's a "Warranty No No"

John Clay
Dec 11th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Upgrading the RAM on the Mac mini does void the warranty on your machine. To be honest, unless you are very comfortable with taking machines apart, it's not something you want to do. It essentially involves prying off the top case, unscrewing the CPU, hard drive, optical drive etc, and replacing the RAM.

A local AASP will do it for a reasonable fee, around $50-$60 or so.

Ottawaman
Dec 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM
intel mini
http://media.macsales.com/videos/mini/intel/medres.html
g4 mini
http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=Video/mini/med.html

phuviano
Dec 11th, 2007, 11:35 PM
just watched the video of the intel mac mini install, and wow, its more work than the PPC version. I used to have a G4 Mini, and it was a lot easier. The hardest part will be popping off the cover of the mac mini, and trying to line it up properly after.

fyrefly
Dec 12th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I found the install of the RAM on an intel mini quite painless and AFAIK, it only voids the warranty if you break something (like those 30-odd "teeth" that hold the top case on) on the way in.

I'd say save your $50 and find a friend who's done it. Grab a putty knife or (my fav) a pizza cutter and get to it ;)

Ottawaman
Dec 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Put a towel under the mini, so you don't scratch the top.

robertanmd
Dec 12th, 2007, 10:08 AM
I just received a new MAC Mini & I also have two 1GB 200-PIN SODIMM upgrades. The only problem I am having now, I see no way of opening the Mini case to install the upgrades. Can anyone help shed light on my problem. I can't ask Apple about this because it's a "Warranty No No"
Thanks for the help.

Ottawaman
Dec 14th, 2007, 12:23 AM
pics...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=397094

isaacangelo
Dec 14th, 2007, 03:23 AM
Upgrading the RAM on the Mac mini does void the warranty on your machine. To be honest, unless you are very comfortable with taking machines apart, it's not something you want to do. It essentially involves prying off the top case, unscrewing the CPU, hard drive, optical drive etc, and replacing the RAM.

A local AASP will do it for a reasonable fee, around $50-$60 or so.

This is simply not true.

Where are you getting info that opening the mini casing or "upgrading the RAM on a mini" voids your warranty?

Apple has never published any exceptions stating that "opening the case voids your warranty" in the Limited Warranty agreement accompanying the Mac mini.

Some clarity: If you damage anything while you are mucking about inside there, then yes, you immediately void your warranty.

I work at a local reseller in Vancouver and do generally recommend that people bring in their computers to the service centre for mini RAM upgrades.

It is actually very easy to perform a RAM upgrade once you have the case opened. That said, I still recommend you have a professional do it for you if liability is a concern.

A more reasonable fee to pay for a Mac mini upgrade performed by an AASP is around $30. An experienced tech can do it in about 20 minutes.

innermind
Dec 14th, 2007, 04:21 AM
A more reasonable fee to pay for a Mac mini upgrade performed by an AASP is around $30. An experienced tech can do it in about 20 minutes.

Bah , takes a putty knife and 4 minutes tops .. save the $$.
It's really easy :clap:

MacDoc
Dec 14th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Well we've done dozens and there is NO WAY it takes 4 minutes on an Intel Macmini.

That may well have been possible on the G4 version but there is significant fiddling with the Intel version.

The correct size and well magnetized screwdriver is a must and replugging fan cable and often disconnected airport cable is fiddly as is getting the RAM to seat on the lower slot.

Careful users CAN undertake it - it's not like putting RAM in a MacBook for instance and most will not get the MacMIni cover back on correctly.

John Clay
Dec 14th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I agree with MacDoc. No way it takes 4 minutes. Not 20 minutes either, but at least 10.

screature
Dec 14th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Well we've done dozens and there is NO WAY it takes 4 minutes on an Intel Macmini.

That may well have been possible on the G4 version but there is significant fiddling with the Intel version.

The correct size and well magnetized screwdriver is a must and replugging fan cable and often disconnected airport cable is fiddly as is getting the RAM to seat on the lower slot.

Careful users CAN undertake it - it's not like putting RAM in a MacBook for instance and most will not get the MacMIni cover back on correctly.

OK, wadding into the debate. I have added RAM to both a G4 and MacIntel Mini.

Is it EASY? No. Is it HARD? No. The main thing that it takes is confidence and I think the easiest way to develop that confidence is to watch it being done step by step. The easiest way to do that that I have found is by watching a video. The one that I used in both cases was found at the OWC website and I say kudos to them for doing so. They sell the RAM, they provide the service of installing it for you and they provide you with a free instructional video if you want to take on the task of doing it yourself. The videos can be found here (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/). It is provided in different sizes to accommodate different bandwidths.

It is definitely more involved to install RAM in the MacIntel Mini. However I think the most difficult thing for most people will be "cracking" open the case. Not necessarily because it is really all that hard but because of the fear of damaging or breaking the case and it doesn't help that in order to open it sounds like you ARE breaking it. Not to worry as you will see and hear in the video those sounds are normal. Once you are inside you do have to be careful, somethings are relatively deliacte. However I disagree with what MacDoc says about the necessity of a magnetized screw drive. I did mine without one. Would it have made the job easier? Yes. But it not essential. Doc is right though about seating the RAM it takes more force than you might think to fully seat it and it is an absolute must to make sure it is all the way home.

Doc, I usually agree with your commentary however I can't see where you could possibly know that "most will not get the MacMIni cover back on correctly." Simply put, you cannot possibly quantify what "most" people will or will not do, only what they have already done. Even at that I doubt that you would have any statistics to back up your statement, if you had stated most people don't get the case back on correctly.

It isn't that hard. In my experience it is a heck of lot easier getting the case back on than it is taking it off.

I think that if anyone is thinking about replacing the RAM in their Mini watch the video and if afterwards you think "Hey I can do that" then go for it. If after watching the video you feel nervous and doubtful, then get a tech to do it for you.

(( p g ))
Dec 14th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Is it EASY? No. Is it HARD? No.

And is it worth the $60 to have peace of mind that I'm not gonna honk my beloved Mac Mini by doing something I'm not supposed to while digging for RAM?

Uh. Yeah.

That's just me, mind you. But after reading this thread, there's no way I'd venture to do this on my own.

MacDoc
Dec 14th, 2007, 11:35 AM
If you got that front right screw in without a magnetic screw driver you were very lucky. It's in no way a self guiding design.

I ignored cracking the case because either they get it off or they chicken out at that point

WE don't get the case on right the first time most often.

Darien Red Sox
Dec 14th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Try this website for a video
Tech Center at OtherWorldComputing.com (http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm)

zlinger
Dec 14th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I added RAM into my Mac Mini without any problems. The key is to go slowly and review pictures and videos found on the web. The hardest part was opening the case. I used the putty knife methods as suggested... Also, not to change the subject... I read somewhere there is a hack to upgrade the processor (desoldering and replacement?) -- don't think I will try this one.