: Lost Extensions in Tiger

rhino
Dec 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
The system extension: “/System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext“ was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

No longer have a previously recognized and mounted FW external drive, no CD/DVD disk drive control or access. No SCSI either. USB slide scanner on USB hub works, USB mouse on Apple Cinema display works but flash drive does not mount.

Tried replacing the .kext from backed up System/extensions folder but no go. Tried to reinstall from Tiger disk using Safe Boot but drives still not available.

Machine: G4 dual 1.25 MDD on Tiger 10.4.11 with 2G RAM
Is my favourite machine bucking for an OS upgrade to Leopard?.

thanks, with appreciation.

chas_m
Dec 12th, 2007, 01:22 AM
The answer is contained in your question. The IOSCSI driver is broken in Tiger, contact the manufacturer and pray that they have an updated one for you to use.

As for your Firewire issues, I can only assume that the IOSCSI driver is messing with the firewire drivers. I would uninstall all traces of SCSI drivers asap.

rhino
Dec 12th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks, but your suggesting that by removing that IOSCSI.kext file, I also lose the use of my SCSI scanner. It scans a larger transparency area than anything in it's price range and I don't see spending $2K for a scanner that does the same thing as this older one does.

Regardless, I still am without FireWire, USB, or especially my CD/DVD drives. What's going on?

R

rhino
Dec 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM
For those searching for a solution:

I just did an archive and install from my OSX Tiger disk by powering up and holding the mouse down. That opens up the drive door. Inserted the disk and when it booted, I installed and archived.

Lost many preferences, some applications are "incomplete" and need to be reinstalled. Will spend many an hour getting back to where I started. FotoLook OSX for Agfa Arcus II now officially hooped for SCSI support except if you use SANE (freeware) or VueScan (buy).

Good luck fellow travelers.