: Can you slice an external hard drive in half?

tacsniper
Dec 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I am looking to purchase a WD book to be hook up to AEBS, I want to know is with a 500GB book, can I slice 250GB to be use with Time Machine and then another 250 GB use as an external hard drive to store media files so all mac can access to those media files? Thanks for your help.

Gerbill
Dec 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I am looking to purchase a WD book to be hook up to AEBS, I want to know is with a 500GB book, can I slice 250GB to be use with Time Machine and then another 250 GB use as an external hard drive to store media files so all mac can access to those media files? Thanks for your help.

I assume you mean partitioning with Disk Utility, not going nuts with a bandsaw.

Sure, the answer is yes. The tool you need is Disk Utility, which resides in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. Click the icon of the disk (not the volume) and click the Partition button. NB: This erases all data on the drive, but I guess you knew that.

sergeg1
Dec 8th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Yep... you sure can, using Disk Utility, you can create two partitions in whatever size you select, and then use one specific to Time Machine, and the other one for your files.

I'd also suggest you make certain that your boot disk (the one you want to backup) is defragmented for smooth glitch-less Time machine operation and all will be well.

Cheers

tacsniper
Dec 8th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Yep... you sure can, using Disk Utility, you can create two partitions in whatever size you select, and then use one specific to Time Machine, and the other one for your files.

I'd also suggest you make certain that your boot disk (the one you want to backup) is defragmented for smooth glitch-less Time machine operation and all will be well.

Cheers

Awesome! so how exactly do i defragment the drive? Is it done under disk utility as well?

sergeg1
Dec 9th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Unfortunately Disk Utility doesn't do that except by erasing a disk and you don't wanna do that on your main drive unless you have to... and there doesn't seem to be any FREE mac disk defrag software around at all, unless someone knows of one.

Now I know that apparently macs don't need it as the OS does it in the background, but experience shows that is not always the case, at least not with Leo.

There's Drive Genius, iDefrag, and TechTool who all do it, but then are all commercial.

iDefrag has a lite version but it only defrag disk under 100mgs, which in todays terms, is completely unrealistic.

However, try to get your Time Machine to back up on your newly partitioned drive, and if it goes well, then no need to degraf. If it hangs, there might be a need for it.

If you know a friend with a Mac and defrag software, perhaps they can assist you.

Cheers

Radio Flyer
Dec 9th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I have an electric band saw that'll cut that drive in half in minutes. :D

phuviano
Dec 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I hope you know you can't use AEBS with time machine. I have an external HD hooked up to my AEBS, and it doesn't work with time machine. It'll work if you hook up the HD by USB/Firewire cable though.

I just thought I'd let you know before you go out and get a HD and be disappointed.

Gerbill
Dec 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
There's a good reason why there's no defragmentation utilities - OS X doesn't need them. However, even if it did, erasing a partition automatically results in defragmentation. Don't worry about it.

sergeg1
Dec 9th, 2007, 06:06 PM
There's a good reason why there's no defragmentation utilities - OS X doesn't need them. However, even if it did, erasing a partition automatically results in defragmentation. Don't worry about it.

That's not always the case. I had a bushel of trouble in getting TM to work properly, yet it would always hang on the halfway mark or sooner, and I only had 44 gigs to back up. I even took my Mini to Apple store and one of the Genius' scanned it with Drive Genius; there were no bad sectors, nothing technically wrong with it and they couldn't understand what was up.

The only thing that the techie noted was that the drive was in need of defrag but they didn't have the time to do it. When I got home, I defragged the HD, launched TM again and VOILA!

Worked like a charm.

FeXL
Dec 9th, 2007, 09:50 PM
The thread title made me think that some poor SOB was trying to solve a messy divorce settlement...

Gerbill
Dec 9th, 2007, 10:00 PM
That's not always the case. I had a bushel of trouble in getting TM to work properly, yet it would always hang on the halfway mark or sooner, and I only had 44 gigs to back up. I even took my Mini to Apple store and one of the Genius' scanned it with Drive Genius; there were no bad sectors, nothing technically wrong with it and they couldn't understand what was up.

The only thing that the techie noted was that the drive was in need of defrag but they didn't have the time to do it. When I got home, I defragged the HD, launched TM again and VOILA!

Worked like a charm.What software did you use?

jamesB
Dec 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Actually when you really think about it,
your idea of erasing the partition not only defrags the the drive, but solves any and all other problems you might have had with OS X.

jb.

MacDoc
Dec 9th, 2007, 11:17 PM

There are two issues -

a) X does a good job on defragging individual files.

b) X - does a lousy job on optimizing a drive ( scattered files for example mail ).

Clone off then clone back on actually does a reasonable job of at least putting the file structures back together tho it's not a true optimization.

Still waiting on iDefrag for a Leopard version..

and yes it does make a difference.

screature
Dec 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM
For defragging I have used two different programs, TechTools Pro 4 and Drive Genius. I prefer Drive Genius, it does the job much faster and I find you can actually notice a performance difference afterwards (of course depending on how badly fragmented the drive was in the first place). To tell the truth I went with Drive Genius because I was basically fed up with TechTools, I found it to be sluggish in general and it crashed in mid operation way too often for my liking.

krs
Dec 10th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I think I lost something in the translation here.

We were talking about partitioning an external drive which will, using disk utility at least, totally erase any existing data on this drive and then we need to defragment the partition that TM will be used with.

How can you defragment a drive with no data on it? What is actually fragmented that you are trying to fix? Doesn't make any sense to me.

screature
Dec 10th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I think I lost something in the translation here.

We were talking about partitioning an external drive which will, using disk utility at least, totally erase any existing data on this drive and then we need to defragment the partition that TM will be used with.

How can you defragment a drive with no data on it? What is actually fragmented that you are trying to fix? Doesn't make any sense to me.

No you are right krs, this is a thread within the thread about defraging and an erased drive has nothing to be defragged. Just one of those tangents that seem to happen around here.