: Refurbished Macs?

Adrian.
Dec 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I was looking at getting a new iMac and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with refurbished macs? Are they as good as new? Are they usually from major hardware breakdowns? The cost saving is pretty good and especially with a student discount on top I could save around 600 bucks. Any info would be cool thanks.

Fox
Dec 8th, 2007, 08:36 PM
I recently bought a refurb mini (1.83 ghz C2D) and I'm very happy with it. Looks like new and came with an extra gig of RAM. Go for it.

tacsniper
Dec 8th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I just bought a refurb 24" alum iMacs for my parents and a brand new 24" alum iMac for my uncle (lives in a separate house), they came in 2 days after another and they look just like each other in terms of the way the computer are setup (Tiger then have to upgrade to Leopard manually) and the refurb one looks brand new. There is no way you can tell which one is refurbished and which one is the "brand new" one (i know, because I had them right beside each other when setting them up before letting them use it). The only way a person can tell is the crappy brown box it comes in. If you don't care about the box coming in brown instead of white with some printing on it I would definitely invest on refurbished iMacs and use the money saved on more rams and softwares ie: iWorks or other gadgets which in my case, we got a airpot base station extreme with the money saved for buying a refurbished iMac instead of a "brand new" one so the 2 24" alum iMac + my macbook can all share 1 printer and access a central external hard drive for media files.

rondini
Dec 8th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Not sure that you can combine edu discount and refurb pricing. It's one or the other.

infinity8
Dec 8th, 2007, 11:50 PM
I was looking at getting a new iMac and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with refurbished macs? Are they as good as new? Are they usually from major hardware breakdowns? The cost saving is pretty good and especially with a student discount on top I could save around 600 bucks. Any info would be cool thanks.

I own a refurbished my dad owns a refurbished and my brother owns one, with not a single problem with any of them and we had them over a year. The great thing is you get a one year warranty to boot.

Low-gun
Dec 9th, 2007, 12:01 AM

Just bought a refurbed 17'' iMac 2.0 GHz (white late 2006) about a month ago and have had no problems thus far. It looks and performs like new and has full waranty. Pretty sure my dad's mini is a refurb as well, and in the year and a half he has owned it, he has had no issues.

An Old Soul
Dec 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Have purchased 4 refurbished machines, no issues. One one, a MacBook, had a visible sign of prior use. And by visible, I mean faint, very faint scratches on the underside.

Go for it. Same warranty as a new machine...

tacsniper
Dec 9th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Edu discounts only work on the brand new stuff... u don't get any more discounts on refub stuff

Adrian.
Dec 9th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Cool stuff thanks guys...I think I will look into getting a refurbished one then.

chas_m
Dec 9th, 2007, 03:24 AM
Until recently, every Mac I had ever owned (from 1986 to 2006!) was a refurb.

I *highly* recommend them, in most cases they are *better* than new because they have been re-examined upon return, in essence a second "quality check."

Mind you, once the Intel laptops came out I've been buying new. My impatience is getting worse! :)

keebler27
Dec 9th, 2007, 09:46 AM
buy one. i bought a 24" refurb white imac and it's been great so far. Except for the brown box (who cares!), the rest of the packaging was perfect. Machine runs fine.

I will be buying refurb from now on, without a doubt.

Cheers,
Keebler

neufelni
Dec 9th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Since you can't get the education discount with the refurbs, I would buy the a new one. Depending on what model you get, you might save more money with the edu discount than you would with buying a refurbished. Plus, then you get a brand new one.

RobTheGob
Dec 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Since you can't get the education discount with the refurbs, I would buy the a new one. Depending on what model you get, you might save more money with the edu discount than you would with buying a refurbished. Plus, then you get a brand new one.

Make sure you check for EDU/EPP pricing just in case... There have been a few times recently when the discounts *could* be combined.

It's rare - but it happens. We bought several refurb iPods recently that were cheaper with EPP+refurb than just refurb and I bought a Macbook that was EPP+black Friday.

YMMV.

trentcanuck
Dec 19th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I wouldn't hesitate to buy refurb.
I bought my iBook from Apple US as a refurb, and it was just like new: perfect.

Adrian.
Dec 19th, 2007, 08:56 AM
they reduced the EPP to 50 bucks off now..it used to be like 150 or so.

jmcm
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:55 PM

Personally I've never seen a case where the edu price was less than the refurb price.

RobTheGob
Dec 20th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Personally I've never seen a case where the edu price was less than the refurb price.

There were a few times last summer when the EDU (EPP) refurb price was less than the regular refurb price.

Up until that time - I had always assumed that the refurb price was the refurb price and didn't check until after I had ordered. It took 20 minutes on the phone to get the price adjusted...

Klaatu
Dec 20th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Until recently, every Mac I had ever owned (from 1986 to 2006!) was a refurb.

I *highly* recommend them, in most cases they are *better* than new because they have been re-examined upon return, in essence a second "quality check."

Not just that but the quality control takes place in North America. It makes a difference.

I just acquired a 24" white iMac and it looks and works like brand new. Because of all the headaches associated with the aluminum iMac and Leopard, I essentially get a better quality machine for a discount price.

gadgetguy
Dec 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Go for it. My iPod Vid 30G has outlasted 2 of my friend's brand new ones (identical)!