: Monthly cost of iPhone operation

Niagaramark
Dec 7th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I'm interested in picking up an iPhone during a trip to Florida over the holidays.
What kind of monthly bills/expense can I expect if I unlock/jailbrake etc and sign up with Rogers?
I've been with Telus for 8 years, my contract is up in Jan 08 and I'm looking for new options.

Thanks

fyrefly
Dec 7th, 2007, 10:14 AM
The only thing that would be different for you in terms of a monthly plan with an iPhone would be the Data plan. And those can get pricey.

Voice plans are no different for iPhone.

madgunde
Dec 7th, 2007, 12:41 PM
The only thing that would be different for you in terms of a monthly plan with an iPhone would be the Data plan. And those can get pricey.

That's only if you sign up for a data plan or plan to use EDGE. Nothing stopping you from only using the internet when you have access to WiFi, in which case it will cost you the same as any other cell phone.

The cheaper Rogers Mobile Internet Data Plans are:
$5/month for 5MB combined upload and download, 3/KB thereafter
$10/month for 10MB combined upload and download, 3/KB thereafter

There are more expensive plans available if you want/need more data. The above would be enough for email and updating the stocks and weather widget. If you want to use Safari, you're going to need a lot more data. I think there is a 1GB plan for $65 if I'm not mistaken, which is meant for laptop computers using a wireless modem, but apparently is also available for iPhone owners. I covered a lot of this in a blog post that you might be interested in reading:

iPhone unlocked, operating on Rogers Wireless in Canada (http://artofgeek.com/2007/09/12/iphone-unlocked-and-operating-on-rogers-wireless-in-canada/)

There was some good discussion in the comments too that might be useful.

GrapeApe
Dec 7th, 2007, 01:45 PM
As opposed to a regular cell phone?

Zero.

I have Edge turned off, use Wifi, works great, though I wish Ottawa had more free Wifi spots.

Adrian.
Dec 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Does anyone have any horror stories of trying to unlock one of these? I really want to get one...but I would hate to start screwing around with the software and then screwing it up majorly.

xtal
Dec 7th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Be forewarned, the current models available in most (if not all) stores are not unlockable. You have to use a method such as TurboSIM to get them working on networks other than AT&T (I'm assuming you're purchasing from the U.S.)

See here for updates:

iPhone Status Document (http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dgzw9xs_0gfhxns)

Or read hackint0sh for even more detailed info.

zlinger
Dec 9th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Right now, I pay a total of $47/month (inc. taxes, 200 daytime, 100 long distance, unlimited evenings/weekends 6pm+, voicemail, etc.). But no data (I called Roger$ to disable this service). I rely on Wi-Fi hotspots around the city. Many places have either free internet or will give you the connection details if you ask.

I would recommend to adjust your lifestyle if you can and try to live without a data package until prices drop in Canada. People need to send a message to the cell phone companies. Bell now seems to be leading the pack with a $7 rate plan. Not a good time to be signing into data contracts (even if they try to offer x # of months free). They do this to get you hooked.

With more competition on the horizon, there could be a better competitive environment like AT&T and T-Mobile down south (at least we hope). Canada needs to also become more equitable to the rate plans in third world countries.

drehleierguy
Dec 9th, 2007, 10:42 AM
i have yet to calculate lost productivity due to all the mucking around i do on the thing... like now, dammit!

pictor
Dec 9th, 2007, 10:51 AM
If it's just for the holidays, get a pay as you go card.

It's roaming charges that will kill you though, but no different than any other phone.

cgoldie
Dec 9th, 2007, 11:21 AM
I have changed my plan with rogers since getting my iphone. I used to have the 10$ basic essientials package which gave me 2MB of transfer and a bunch of text messages.
I recently upgraded to the 20$ plan because I found the ease of texting on the phone was so awesome I was blowing my SMS alotment out of the water. With the 20$ plan I get 2500 SMS messages a month (won't max out that one) and 5MB of data and picture messaging (which is nice with the new MMS app for the iphone). The 5MB of transfer is enough for me to get weather updates before rugby matches and maps to fields and what not. I'm still not using my iphone to surf and check email through edge until a better priced unlimited data package comes along. That's the day I am looking for. Alas, they day we are all looking for.

As far as the unlocking question. I bought my iphone on eBay, locked, and I unlocked it myself right from 1.0.2. I have since downgraded the baseband and upgraded to 1.1.1 and then 1.1.2. I have had no problems, other than a short stint where I couldn't get by the apple screen because of a coruppted springboard.app, which I did myself trying to do something stupid!

Use the guides at modmyifone.com, and follow them to a T, and I mean that, if it says DO NOT CONNECT TO iTunes, or "Do this in airplane mod" then do it.

Everytime you read a post somewhere about someone that mangled their iphone it's usually because they tried to take a shortcut in updating or whatever and wrecked their phone.

And people wish that places like Ottawa had more hotspots... I live in the maritimes, getting a hotspot in New Brunswick is as difficult as turning water into gasoline.

Just some thoughts....

Cgoldie :heybaby: