: iMac help me decide!

DDKD726
Dec 6th, 2007, 08:47 PM
So i have an option to buy either a used iMac 20" Core duo 2gz 1.5 gig ram with Applecare until feb 2009 - for $925. Or I could go for the Aluminum 20" that's in the refurb store right now for $1139+tax. Is it worth the extra $375 for the Aluminum model?

Is there that much difference between Core Duo and Core 2 duo???

Help please!

Isight
Dec 6th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I own the core 2 duo model of the white imac. It is a great computer. If you are doing any kind of work with photos get the core duo it has the better display not the TN panel! The alum is not that much faster says geekbench the score for the core duo is 2519 and the score for the core 2 duo is 2741. The graphics in the core duo are better in my opinion. The alum can have 4 Gb of ram and core duo is 2 Gb. Go with what you think is right it is always good to be up to date. But Penryn is coming out in jan, so you might want to get the core duo and save the $375 and let the core duo carrie you until to march or when ever. It is your choice.

fyrefly
Dec 6th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Just in terms of screen, I'd stick with the Used CoreDuo. I have one and I love it.

The old 20" iMacs (white) have an S-IPS non-glossy screen on them - those 20" screens (as a standalone) can cost $400-$600 alone.

The new 20" iMacs (aluminum) have a Glossy TN panel that you can get for $200 or less at any computer store. The colours are worse, as are the viewing angles. The only thing TN panels are better at are response times for Gaming.

BUT... weirdly, the Old Radeon x1600 performs better (http://barefeats.com/imacal.html) in some tests than the new Radeon in the Aluminum iMacs.

Mississauga
Dec 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I have more faith in the older screen technology, and would therefore opt for the earlier version. Plus, it's a great buy!

DDKD726
Dec 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
wow, i didn't think the new screens were so bad! Good to know! Thanks for the input.

Mississauga
Dec 7th, 2007, 07:19 PM
The new 20" screens aren't really terrible, but the difference is quite apparent when placed side by side with an older iMac. The new 24" iMacs don't suffer the same problem, but they too aren't exactly perfect.

smashedbanana
Dec 7th, 2007, 08:19 PM
The white iMac is 3gb of ram max, not 2gb. Correcting isight's comment ;)

I have the white iMac I puchased it right around the time the aluminum came out, because I prefer the tachtile white keyboard and the LCD quality. But these are more or less just personal preference.

Ed

macuserforlife
Dec 7th, 2007, 08:25 PM
The white iMac is 3gb of ram max, not 2gb. Correcting isight's comment ;)

Ed

Isn't that only with Core2Duo's?

Isight
Dec 7th, 2007, 09:02 PM
The core duo is 2 Gb the core 2 duo is 3 GB. Hears proof. iMac (Early 2006) - Technical Specifications (http://support.apple.com/specs/imac/iMac_Early_2006.html)

mc3251
Dec 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I bought a 24" aluminum iMac about 3 months ago, and at the time I was really worried about everything I'd heard about display quality. I went to the store and looked at the 20 and 24 inch iMacs and I must say that the 20" display did seem a little anemic to me.
I absolutely love the display on my iMac-or at least I have no problem with it whatsoever. I am not doing pro color work so color profiling and calibration aren't necessary for me. Seems just fine for photo editing and I get the same quality printing my photos (in terms of wysiwyg) as I did before.
good stuff....I'm happy.

DDKD726
Dec 11th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I'd be using it mostly for movies and music and photos - I don't do any major editing. Is the glossy screen better for watching Movies?

Abysmal
Dec 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM
You'll never really be happy.. believe me, you always want the latest and the greatest.. buy a lottery ticket instead.. it may work out better!