: Western Digital 1TB Ethernet drive at Costco - $344.00

hhk
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:31 AM
I noticed this drive yesterday at Costco. It has a GB Ethernet connection, no Firewire and the USB is there only to daisy chain additional drives.

I'm thinking of buying one for all my media files - video, photos, music. Any comments here? Will this thing be fast enough over a 1GB network? How would it compare to a FW400 drive directly connected to my Mac?

Can Time Machine use a network drive or does it need an external?

corey111
Dec 5th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I have a 3 terrabyte raid drive set up using ethernet. I am not a big fan of it. I bought it to attempt to use it for a huge video storage device for video projects I work on but it lags a lot. So it's not good for working directly off of it. However it does a good job for just storage, I put my dormant projects there now. The video plays back from the drive fine as does music. The transfer speeds are just kinda slow. I haven't turned on my Time Machine yet and test it, but I am sure it would work. YOu just need to go to, connect to server in order to get to the drive when it's connected via ethernet.

CdnPhoto
Dec 5th, 2007, 02:16 PM
If you look around at Costco, you'll also see one that has Firewire/USB and eSata. I picked one up for $299.

switch
Dec 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
For $344... I don't think it's worth it if it only has an ethernet connection... for that price you can pick up a Fantom G-force drive that has FW400/FW800 and USB 2.0 at Tiger Direct.

If you are gonna be accessing huge files... it'll take some time

hhk
Dec 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I checked some reviews on Amazon. Not too favourable. I guess I'll stick with the locally connected external drives.