: iCab 4 released - rewritten as a Cocoa app

pismo923
Dec 4th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Just downloaded the new version of iCab. The program has been rewritten as a Cocoa app....new look, new bookmarks manager. Can't say yet if the performance and some of the rendering glitches are improved but the feature set has been very comprehenive for a long time. Requires 10.3.9 and apparently some features do require 10.4 or 10.5

I paid for the version awhile back if for no other reason than to support a developer who has basically developed a browser by himself and yet continues to support OS9 and earlier systems. In my opinion that is both remarkable and commendable.

I have been a fan of iCab since I purchased it as it's feature set is very good. It's preferences are unmatched in my experience. Safari is like a scaled down toy in comparison. All in all great news to me!

pismo923
Dec 4th, 2007, 08:17 PM
So far a much improved version. eBay site which was problematic before is much better now. Overall it is noticeably faster (for me anyways) :clap: Rendering is very good on the sites I frequent.

What I always have found startling is when checking a page for errors using the iCab "smiley" feature is how poorly most pages are written. I am not a web designer by any stretch but are there not standards that are supposed to be followed?

mac-man6
Dec 5th, 2007, 06:00 AM
That's great. I used to use iCab on a Quadra back in high school. Back when G3's and G4's were ruling, he was still developing 68k code.

pismo923
Dec 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM
well I have now been using this new version of iCab for a couple of weeks now and it is a vast improvement over any previous version. The current version is more than adequately fast on my G4 MDD running 10.3.9. I can only imagine that on a newer intel machime with a more current OS (some features require 10.4 or 10.5) it would be that much better.

I have no problems using it as my default browser and to me is well worth the $30 I paid a couple of years ago. Version 3 was okay but had too many issues to be used full time as a default browser. I found myself using Netscape 9 more and more. That is definately not the case anymore.

It's amazing how many good browsers there now are for the mac. Choice is good. Anyways, Merry Christmas to all.

dibenga
Dec 24th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I assume he is dropped support for OS9?

Rob
Dec 25th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I went to the iCab site, but there is no mention of a version 4. They still have version 3.0.3 for OS8.5 and 9, as well as OSX versions. They also still have versions for 68k Macs.

I'm giving version 3.0.3 another try on my Pismo in OS9. The page rendering is excellent, but I'm still having problems with slow loading and stalling. ehMac is particularly bad for this, but I don't know why.

pismo923
Dec 25th, 2007, 01:32 AM
The reason that there is no mention of iCab 4 is that it is only available to paid users of the pro version at the moment. I got it from the "check for updates" in iCab itself. Technically he is still calling it a beta version so when it will be released as a public download I have no idea. Can't be too far away as it is certainly very usable in it's present form. The latest beta I downloaded a couple of days ago really showed increased speed. :D

I must say that this developer seems to be genuinely interested in user feedback as he has been very responsive when I have sent him bug reports or feedback. I can't say that anybody from mozilla org ever sent me personal email. I understand why they don't but it is nice to know that a developer is actually reading your feedback.

I should ask him about OS 9 support as well as support for versions of OS X prior to 10.3.9. As far as I know he is still supporting those.

For those of you that have liked iCab in the past you will be impressed with what he has done.

Rob
Dec 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the update pismo923. I'd definitely like to use iCab. It has some useful features that others don't have. Older versions had major page rendering problems on some sites, but was smokin' fast. The 3.0.3 version is great for rendering, but stalls and chugs (in OS9).

I'm sold if they can merge the speed of the older version, with the rendering capabilities of the new one.

csonni
Dec 25th, 2007, 02:48 PM
If you're talking about version 3.0.3, that has been out since August of 2006. Are you referring to a newer version than that?

csonni
Dec 31st, 2007, 10:48 PM
iCab 4 just came out.