: people who sell "just bought" computers

mcoltezo
Dec 4th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I like browsing through the classifieds and I am always perplexed that sooo many people are selling "just bought" computers for a few hundred less than "new". I don't get it. I did talk to one who said they get deals on the machines from someone in the biz...I guess it was. Is this the case with all these folks? Where can I get deals like that? Maybe they're all legit and I mean them no harm.....I'm just mystified about selling something for less than I 'just' bought it for. Why buy it in the first place?

can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanx

KPenner
Dec 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I happen to be reselling one so I'll let you know why. BestBuy made a pricing error on the 17" MacBook Pro last Friday to the tune of $1000.00! I happened to snap one up with in intention of reselling it. Should help with the Christmas bills!

Paul O'Keefe
Dec 4th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Some people buy with an educational or other discount and sell it themselves for more. It happens.

KPenner
Dec 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Some people are also selling "empty" boxes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

mcoltezo
Dec 4th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Lucky you on the MacBook Pro!

Thanks for the responses.

titans88
Dec 4th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I happen to be reselling one so I'll let you know why. BestBuy made a pricing error on the 17" MacBook Pro last Friday to the tune of $1000.00! I happened to snap one up with in intention of reselling it. Should help with the Christmas bills!

WOW. Sounds like a steal of a deal.

MacDaddy
Dec 4th, 2007, 04:44 PM
and sometimes your eyes are bigger than your credit card and you need to get rid of Impulse Purchases :(

Adrian.
Dec 5th, 2007, 02:24 AM
I don't know about this with computers...but I know that Native people buy dirtbikes, atv's and cars etc and they pay no tax on them and then sell them a couple hundred bucks more than they paid and they are still brand new and cheaper for the buyer than paying taxes new.

mikeinmontreal
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I just bought the latest white Macbook with Superdrive, BNIB for about $1250 shipped, off of an Ebay auction. Seller with very positive feedback, $2000 of paypal coverage, etc. It's in transit; should have it by tomorrow. I don't know how the sellers can sell them that low.

Mr. Fartleberry
Dec 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM

I ragged Best Buy earlier this year when I was considering a MBP. They were "discounting" MBPs based on an inflated MSRP. You could buy cheaper at the AAPL store. They basically told me they could set any price they want for the product. Good for them - I didn't buy one.

BTW I also got a misprint price honoured at the AAPL store a few years ago. Only saved about 50 bucks though. Funny thing was it took them several days to correct it.

HowEver
Dec 5th, 2007, 11:46 AM

mikeinmontreal
Dec 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Paypal via credit card. And 2.2 Santa Rosa.

Gooseberry
Dec 5th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Funny I should stumble across this thread when, just last night, looking for a used laptop to replace my failed yesterday and most loved bronze keyboard G3, I couldn't help but notice how many of those "almost new" ads there were.

Being from downtown Toronto, I know there are "a million stories in the naked city", and that even cars are often re-sold within weeks or months of their purchase because of divorce, financial problems, etc., but I still found it difficult to believe this was true so often with computers.

So I decided to check up on one: a Mac Mini the ad said was bought "only a year ago", which would mean late 2006. I looked up that model on Apple and it was the very first Mini released, in January 2005. Now I realize a store can have a model lying around for a little while, but almost two years after it's release? I think not.

This means they can't have bought that Mini new at a retail store, so either they're leaving out that it was second-hand to begin with....or???

Kestral
Dec 5th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I bought a used Blackbook... THE DAY BEFORE the new Santa Rosa launched. Luckily I paid very little for it and so I sold it for a ~$400 profit and ordered teh new 2.2 Blackbook.

Eric0
Dec 5th, 2007, 09:31 PM
This doesn't hold true so much for Macs. But for some of the PC's its cheaper to buy a combo deal (computer and monitor) and then sell the computer and keep the monitor and peripherals. I had a friend who bought a PC from Costco last summer with a 30-inch monitor. Paid 2500 for the set and sold the computer for 1200.

Both got a good deal, he got a new HP 30-inch display for 1300 and someone got a brand new computer that was retailing for 1400+tax at Futureshop.

chas_m
Dec 6th, 2007, 04:50 AM
I sold my original (CoreDuo) BlackBook a few months after I bought it because the Core2Duo was a significant improvement. I had bought the original machine at wholesale (worked for a Mac dealer in the States at the time), so I was able to sell it for almost exactly what I paid for it, and the customer (who needed a nice laptop but did not need the latest and greatest) was very happy.

I was even happier when I turned that money (plus about $200) into the new Core2Duo BlackBook. I'd already "spent" the original investment, so this was like getting a new one for almost nothing. :cool:

Upgrading (almost) every time a new machine comes out is actually not a bad way to go -- you get new machines with new warranties all the time, your buyers usually get a discount and the opportunity to buy AppleCare if you didn't already, and the actual cost works out to a few hundred every year (or two). Cheaper than renting ...

mikeinmontreal
Dec 10th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Update: My wife received the package this afternoon. As advertised, late 2007 white Macbook 2.2 Santa Rosa brand new in box. She opened the box; no bricks. Ran the serial and warranty expires 12/08/08. All I have to do is run the Macbook to make sure everything is in order. Price paid: $1247.

Adrian.
Dec 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Thats a sweet deal man...good for you! Have fun with your new toy.

mikeinmontreal
Dec 10th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Adrian. It will be my first Leopard experience. I just hope migration assistant works like a charm.