: buy a macbook pro now?

stephalee
Dec 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a macbook pro soon. If I get one before the year ends I will be able to get it for a really good price. If I wait until janurary then i'll have to pay full price. I know there is a big rumor about a upgrade in the very near future (January). So what I'm wondering is, does apple offer a exchange policy like if they upgrade their hardware within 30 days of purchase you can exchange it. I tried to look at the apple website but couldn't find much. Anyone know the answer??

fyrefly
Dec 4th, 2007, 01:56 PM
The rumour for January looks like it'll be a MacBook Nano (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/12/04/apple_validates_13_inch_led_backlight_units_ahead_ of_ultra_portable.html) (or something like that) which is 13" and super skinny/small/light.

Not sure if that precludes the possibility of a MacBook Pro update - but the MBPs have been stagnant since June (http://www.macrumors.com/buyersguide/#MacBook_Pro).

There's also the Penryn processors to think about. There will be a MacBook Pro update before March or so, I would guess, and probably something in Jan/Feb.

stephalee
Dec 4th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Fyrefly thanks for your reply. I also heard about the penryn rumor and thats the major reason why I'm considering waiting.

I answered my other questions by just phoning apple myself something that I probably should have done in the first place. I'll just post here incase anyone else is a rookie switcher like me and wondering the same thing. The apple rep I spoke too said that they have a strict 14 day return policy. When I asked about buying and upgrading if a new release comes out She said that sometimes they will if the product hasn't been open and its within a reasonable amount of time (30days). However this isn't an official apple policy so i can very well be screwed if i buy now and they do upgrade in january. I'll probably do it though anyways.

phuviano
Dec 4th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Macs in general never really go on sale. I've recently saw $100 MBP's at future shop on the current 15" models. It might have been the best buy flyer actually, I really don't remember. I do remember that it was the current model, and it was $2099 for the 2.2 ghz, and $2699 for the 2.4.

If you don't need the laptop now, just wait. Even with the return policy, are you really going to buy a MBP not open it for 14 days. I would wait for the next update, if you want the latest model. That's what I did back in June.

zlinger
Dec 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
The rumour for January looks like it'll be a MacBook Nano (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/12/04/apple_validates_13_inch_led_backlight_units_ahead_ of_ultra_portable.html) (or something like that) which is 13" and super skinny/small/light.

If a MacBook Nano materializes, do you think it will include an embedded iSight camera in the LCD?

stephalee
Dec 4th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I would totally wait except for the fact that I have a friend thats willing to spend his 25% employee discount on me. Apparently it resets in january so I need to take advantage of it now. Thats why I was hoping apple would provide a 30day exchange or something.

phuviano
Dec 4th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I would totally wait except for the fact that I have a friend thats willing to spend his 25% employee discount on me. Apparently it resets in january so I need to take advantage of it now. Thats why I was hoping apple would provide a 30day exchange or something.

25% percent off, go for it. Its not worth waiting for an update, if you can get 25% off.

Eric0
Dec 4th, 2007, 10:59 PM
25% percent off, go for it. Its not worth waiting for an update, if you can get 25% off.

I agree. The new penryn processors will be faster but if you can save close to $600 on a MBP I would take that any day. Unless you plan on doing intensive rendering etc the current line of MBP's will function just fine.

stephalee
Dec 6th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Okay thanks to everyone that replied I think I just needed people to reaffirm what I was sort of thinking all along. It's true I don't need the newest and fastest available even though it is nice to have.

groovetube
Dec 6th, 2007, 12:25 AM
yup. I have the current mbp 2.2 and I LOVE it.