: Mac mini memory??

insertclevername
Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Hey..
So I bought a core duo 1.83 to replace my 1.42 ppc in september...the weird thing is that its not much faster...i mean sure it can play HD wmv files now but still using iphoto while burning a disc with toast and surfing is still impossible!

so im thinking it must be a memory issue (both have 512mb)
so now i'm looking to get 2gb of memory.....
........is it better to get 2x1 gb or will a single 2gb stick work too?
(maybe then i'll get 4gb sometime later)

Isight
Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
The Core duo models support 2Gb of ram says apple but you can install up to 3GB So 1x2Gb would work but 2x2Gb will not. This is the same for core duo, and core 2 duo macbook. The new ones can have up to 4 GB. You may also want to upgrade the HD to a faster 7200 RPM drive instead of the 5400 RPM drive. You can get a 120 GB drive at tigerdirect.ca for about $160. I may be selling a bran new 1 Gb stick of apple ram with in the next month so check the classifieds. This page should help you. RAM Expansion Developer Note: RAM Expansion Product-Specific Details (http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/Conceptual/HWTech_RAM/Articles/RAM_implementation.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003899-DontLinkElementID_7)

insertclevername
Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
Hey..
So the mac mini uses so-dimm memory...**** I almost bought regular pc dimm sticks on ebay..

Isight
Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:31 PM
Hears that drive at tiger. you may want to think about this. Hitachi TravelStar 7K200 120GB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive - SATA, 7200, 16MB, OEM 0A50938 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3317096&CatId=2682)

CanadaRAM
Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:43 PM
The Core duo models support 2Gb of ram says apple but you can install up to 3GB So 1x2Gb would work but 2x2Gb will not. This is the same for core duo, and core 2 duo macbook.

Not true. The CoreDuos support 2 Gb maximum, period. THe Core2Duos support 3 Gb (2 + 1) or 3.3 Gb (2 + 2)

Intel Core Duo microprocessor, provides two RAM slots that accommodate 200-pin DDR2 SDRAM SO-DIMMs up to 1.25” in height. The SO-DIMMs must be DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) compliant and must be unbuffered, unregistered, 8-byte, nonparity, and non-ECC.

The computer ships with two 256 MB, 667 MHz, SDRAM SO-DIMM installed, for a total of 512 MB. The largest capacity SO-DIMM supported is 1 GB, with a maximum memory capacity of 2 GB.

The memory controller supports 256 MB, 512 MB, and 1 GB SO-DIMMs.

Isight
Dec 3rd, 2007, 09:48 PM
I'm sorry my mistake I did not realize that.

chas_m
Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Hey..
So I bought a core duo 1.83 to replace my 1.42 ppc in september...the weird thing is that its not much faster...i mean sure it can play HD wmv files now but still using iphoto while burning a disc with toast and surfing is still impossible!

so im thinking it must be a memory issue (both have 512mb)
so now i'm looking to get 2gb of memory.....
........is it better to get 2x1 gb or will a single 2gb stick work too?
(maybe then i'll get 4gb sometime later)

Memory will help, but be aware that the intel Mac mini's don't have a dedicated video card, so some video-intensive things will continue to be a mite sticky.

That said, another problem is that replacing/upgrading RAM in the Intel minis is not for the feint of heart. The RAM is located on the motherboard UNDER all the other components, so basically you have to take the entire thing apart and put it back together CORRECTLY (watch out for those delicate sensor wires!) to upgrade it. For most people, it's worth having a tech do it, but instructions can be found on the net if you want to look. Be sure you're looking at INTEL mac mini instructions, it's a VERY different layout than the PPC mac minis.

Good luck, and I'm sure 2GB of RAM will make a big difference!

screature
Dec 4th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Memory will help, but be aware that the intel Mac mini's don't have a dedicated video card, so some video-intensive things will continue to be a mite sticky.

That said, another problem is that replacing/upgrading RAM in the Intel minis is not for the feint of heart. The RAM is located on the motherboard UNDER all the other components, so basically you have to take the entire thing apart and put it back together CORRECTLY (watch out for those delicate sensor wires!) to upgrade it. For most people, it's worth having a tech do it, but instructions can be found on the net if you want to look. Be sure you're looking at INTEL mac mini instructions, it's a VERY different layout than the PPC mac minis.

Good luck, and I'm sure 2GB of RAM will make a big difference!

I guess it all depends on what your idea of video intensive is. If you mean using Photoshop 3 on large files or trying to do HD video editing or 3D imaging or intensive gaming then yes, you are right. In which case the Mac Mini was the wrong purchase and a Mac Pro or top of the line iMac or Macbook Pro would have been the right piece of hardware.

If you mean playing back HD video content, if you have 2GB of RAM then you will have no troubles at all, I do it all the time. Quite frankly insertclevername, I am surprised that you say you do not notice that much of a performance gain. I upgraded from your situation to exactly what you have now and I found the performance gain to be huge. I did max out the RAM at 2GB though.

As for taking the Mini apart and getting at the RAM it isn't that big a deal. The hardest part is opening the case and it isn't because it is really that difficult, it is because of the fear that you are going to break it. Don't worry as long as you are careful, you won't have any problems.

For a free online video of how to take the Mini apart and install the Ram and put it all back together go to Other World Computing (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/mac-mini/) and scroll down towards the bottom of the page where it says "Would you like to Do it Yourself?" and you will see the link to the video in three different sizes (to accommodate your bandwidth).

I followed their video to add RAM to my original G4 Mini and now my MacIntel Mini and by following the instructions EXACTLY I had no problems at all. The only thing I would say is that to fully seat the RAM takes a little more force than you might expect (at least in my case) and you absolutely must make sure that it is all the way in for proper contact. So make sure to carefully look at how far in the original dimm is in so you will know when it is all the way "home".

If you are at all handy I recommend doing it yourself, not only does it save you time and probably money, but it is really cool to see the guts of the Mini and marvel at the design and engineering, plus you get the added "I did it" satisfaction.

fyrefly
Dec 4th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I've taken apart my Mac Mini CoreSolo and had no problems. It's not that complicated to do yourself, but just be aware that if you break anything (especially those clips that hold the case together) you will void your warranty.

More RAM will definitely help you. I have a CoreSolo with 1GB RAM and it screams along pretty fast (tho I mostly use it as a HTPC, and rarely with any HD video).

Hears that drive at tiger. you may want to think about this. Hitachi TravelStar 7K200 120GB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive - SATA, 7200, 16MB, OEM 0A50938 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3317096&CatId=2682)

Well, there's much cheaper options if you want space, and a 5400RPM drive. Costco has the 250GB Western Digital External for $139.99 in the warehouses and $154.99 online shipped.

Costco - Western Digital® 250 GB WD Passport™ Portable 2.5-in. External Hard Drive (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10305025&search=passport&Mo=2&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Sp=S&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=passport&Ntt=passport&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1)

That drive comes in an external case so you can swap the drive with the one in your mini and already have an external. ;)

screature
Dec 4th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I've taken apart my Mac Mini CoreSolo and had no problems. It's not that complicated to do yourself, but just be aware that if you break anything (especially those clips that hold the case together) you will void your warranty.

Good point Fyrefly. I have been tinkering around inside the guts of PCs and Macs for so long now that I forget about those kind of issues. So I must add a caveat to my previous recommendation of doing it yourself. Only do it if you feel confident enough not to break anything.

I do not think however that it is very likely that you are going to break those clips. They are designed to take exactly the types of pressure that they have to be put under to open the Mini, this is after all basically the same way an Apple tech would have to open the Mini. They may have some specially tailored blade to do the work, but the principle is still the same, you have to "crack" it open and pry back those tabs to get it open.

The "breaking anything" I would be most worried about are the "delicate wires" previously mentioned by chas_m. Even those are nothing that a fine soldering iron wouldn't take care of, but if you didn't have one it would be a big deal and probably freak you out.

In the end, if you have more confidence than money, do it yourself. If not, get a tech to do it would have to be my "sober second" thought on this matter.

Isight
Dec 4th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Yes you can get bigger but the drive at tiger is faster. Look at the bench marks for Imac and macbook pro with 2Gb of ram in the MBP and the same processor. The imac is faster because of the drive.

fyrefly
Dec 4th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I think the "teeth" are the easiest to break, 'cause there's so many of them and you really have to pry them... especially the first time. I've "cracked" open my mini 2 or three times now, and each time has been easier.

The little wires, etc... are pretty durable. There's the Airport Antenna in the top right hand corner and then the sound connector in the middle of the front. But that's about all I can think of, and if you pull those too much, you just disconnect them from the motherboard... At least that's what happened to me. ;)

insertclevername
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hey....
Thanks for the replies...while I would like to upgrade the drive to a 7200 rpm I'm gonna wait until after the memory upgrade since most of my problems stem from running multiple applications at the same time without getting the beach ball popping up. Plus the 2gb of memory is gonna run under 50$ on ebay while a drive will be about 3 times that.
I'm pretty confident I can do it myself...from the pictures Ive seen of it inside it looks pretty cool..didn't think it had that big of a fan!

Thanks for the video, it makes me much more confident than the picture guides I was going to use.