: Question regarding smartfolders in mail

mc3251
Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
I am probably missing something really obvious here, but I have to say that I don't get what is so brilliant about smart folders in mail. It doesn't allow me to clean up my inbox because as soon as I delete them from there they disappear from the smartfolder, which is understandable as they are just pointers.
So, over time, I just get a huge inbox and I have to go to the SFs to see the message sorted by SF parameters. I just can't see what makes this so great.
Since I have heard several ppl rave about this function, can someone explain to me how they use it and why it's so great?
thanks
michael

MacDoc
Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
It's not meant to clean your inbox - it's an autosort to provide an easy automatic way to keep certain topics or people in one place that's quickly accessible.

If you want to take them from the inbox you use rules to direct them to a regular mailbox.

I generally have 2 months ( about 5,000 messages ) in the inBox.
A few smartfolders for specific situations that are ongoing
Then regular mailboxes by date 2-3 2007, 4-5 2007 etc.

keebler27
Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
I am probably missing something really obvious here, but I have to say that I don't get what is so brilliant about smart folders in mail. It doesn't allow me to clean up my inbox because as soon as I delete them from there they disappear from the smartfolder, which is understandable as they are just pointers.
So, over time, I just get a huge inbox and I have to go to the SFs to see the message sorted by SF parameters. I just can't see what makes this so great.
Since I have heard several ppl rave about this function, can someone explain to me how they use it and why it's so great?
thanks
michael

i'm kind of ditto on this one too. i close the view for my inbox and leave the SFs open so if anything special comes in, i can check it, but i still find myself going to the regular email box alot.

cheers,
keebler

johnnyspade
Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:40 AM
I only have one smart mailbox, which I use to find all emails with attachments. I can then delete these easily so they don't clog up by Mail backup.

I do have lots of regular mailboxes set up though, with rules set up for each. I get lots of emails from clients and they get dropped directly into the appropriate folder. The less sorting I have to do of my inbox the better.

mc3251
Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks everyone. The idea of having the general inboxes by date is a good one. Now I see how I can use this.
thanks
michael

mguertin
Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:03 PM
The top thing on my wishlist for smart mailboxes is the ability to do more advanced matching like:

Match (this or this or this) AND (this or this or this)

For that matter I wish that you could also do any kind of boolean/grouping in searches within Mail!