: Cordless VoIP Phone Skype Macintosh

zlinger
Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
I am considering to purchase the Keyspan VoIP (http://www.keyspan.com/products/vp24a/homepage.spml) phone that is compatible with both a PC and Mac. It is a 2.4ghz cordless phone and connects via a small USB dongle. This model seems to have good ratings, and the price is around $75 CDN.

Currently using wired headphones, and considered a bluetooth headset with Skype... but I like the idea of a dedicated cordless phone in the house (need to save $$ too since my cell daytime minutes are too expensive). I will mainly have it hooked up to my Mac Mini "Server/Media Hub" that is always on with Skype running in the background (using the free service, plus SkypeOut).

This VoIP phone also seems small enough that I can carry it around town when I have my Mac Book Pro for use at Wi-Fi hotspots. Also, this would be great to carry during oversees travels for phoning home from Internet Cafes.

A few questions though:

Does anyone use this model? Pros & Cons?
Will it work with Leopard and the newest Skype versions?
Are there any alternatives out there you would recommend?

Thanks so much for the info and feedback...

dona83
Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
I think it's fine although i don't see the point of using it at WiFi hotspots... why not just use your MacBook Pro itself. Although definitely good to make calls from internet cafes overseas, I wish I had this in Japan instead of paying $1 a minute to call back home. You kids have it so easy these days.

zlinger
Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Yes, you raise a good point with the hotspots. For overseas travel, I guess too a cheap mic/headphone will suffice. One less piece of gadget to carry in both scenarios -- plus I'm sure that I will lose the USB dongle at some point then I have useless VoIP phone.

Maybe I should just abandon the use of cordless phone altogether and just get a cheap bluetooth headset for $40. I can live without a keypad for dialing, and just rely on the Skype interface. Really, why go backwards and have to hold a phone to my ear for hours on end... a carryover from the old days of rotary dial with the coiled wires:D

I might go to BestBuy or FutureShop today to find a cheap bluetooth headset that I can pair it with my MBP or Mac Mini:) Thinking further, the most ideal solution would be a way for my iPhone to connect via bluetooth to my Mac that can interface with the audio input and output!!! I'm sure someone is working on it.

mguertin
Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
I use a BT headset for this all the time and am happy with it for skype, iChat, and SIP/Asterisk VoIP applications.

zlinger
Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM
I went the BT headset route. Just picked up a Plantronics Explorer 220 an hour ago from Best Buy. It is currently on sale for $39 (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10091503&catid=21388)! The quality and design is outstanding for the price... way cheaper than the Apple BT headset. I can confirm that it works perfect with the iPhone, Mac Book Pro, and Mac Mini. Tried it with normal cell calls, and Skype and it works great!

zlinger
Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:59 PM
**UPDATE** I'm returning the BT headset that I just got... it has started to cause interference with my Apple mouse (choppy movements)... and it starts to crackle at only 5m distance. I guess you get what you pay for...

Any other suggestions for BT headset brands that will work better??? Maybe I should just go with the Apple or Motorola headset??

dona83
Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
I say just go for the cordless phone if you're using it at home. Bluetooth headsets only work up to 10m away at the most. It'll certainly be usable overseas too so long you don't have to load up Skype on the host computer -- big advantage there.

zlinger
Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
I say just go for the cordless phone if you're using it at home. Bluetooth headsets only work up to 10m away at the most. It'll certainly be usable overseas too so long you don't have to load up Skype on the host computer -- big advantage there.

I think I will end up getting the Keyspan VoIP phone which is a good set-up while roaming around the house and overseas travels. When I'm at the desk, or commuting around town with the laptop, I'll use a BT headset. The best of both worlds. Now using the Jabra BT125, and it seems to be much more stable and better audio quality compared to the cheap Plantronics.

RISCHead
Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Very nice. I'm tempted.
1. Wish it had a speakerphone.
2. Wish I could dial from my PC or Mac (Skype on my PC has a nice browser plug-in), that lets me dial out phone numbers on Skype - if that extends to the phone, it would be great. Not obvious that it would, but maybe - depends on its driver interface to Skype I expect.
3. Any local (GTA) retailers carry it?

I currently manage with my BT earpiece, but it is a pain in the backside to carry a separate charger for it and range is limited.

What I really need is a wireless phone with wifi and a Skype application (and a speakerphone) - iPhone skype hack anyone?

harzack86
Dec 3rd, 2007, 11:44 PM
I like this phone:
Skype Phone - Skype Headset - Skype Web Cam - Skype WiFi Phone - Accessories (http://accessories.skype.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_GB&SiteID=skypeeu&id=ProductDetailsPage&productID=78051200)

It's wireless (DECT) has Skype built in, and connects to a base which is wired to my router and to a phone.
It has a speaker phone too.
I've read good reviews compared to other phones like this (access to skype without a computer).

But unfortunately, I don't think it's sold in Canada yet.

RISCHead
Dec 4th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I've given up looking for a combo solution - decided I'm going to get a Polycom SoundPoint Pro SE-225 for my home office. Nice little affordable conference phone.
Will keep my Skype solution and home cordless solutions separate.

sloow
Dec 4th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Does this phone ring with a computer to computer connection, or should I say Skype to Skype?
this phone Skype Phone - Skype Headset - Skype Web Cam - Skype WiFi Phone - Accessories (http://accessories.skype.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_GB&SiteID=skypeeu&id=ProductDetailsPage&productID=78051200)
thanks

zlinger
Dec 4th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Ordered both the Keyspan VoIP and Jabra BT Headset from a dealer in the USA. Total price came out to about $105, about $70 less then in Canada. Gotta love the CDN $ right now. I will drive across the border to pick it up this weekend.:D

harzack86
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Does this phone ring with a computer to computer connection, or should I say Skype to Skype?
this phone Skype Phone - Skype Headset - Skype Web Cam - Skype WiFi Phone - Accessories (http://accessories.skype.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_GB&SiteID=skypeeu&id=ProductDetailsPage&productID=78051200)
thanks

Yes, this phone rings for a Skype to skype connection, can be used for skypeout, and it also rings with a regular phone call.
When you place a call, you're prompted to use your regular land line or skypeout.