: Migrating Tiger to Leopard on new system?

Vexel
Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
Hey foiks,

Just wondering if anyone has migrated their accounts from one Mac with Tiger to a new Mac with Leopard?

My Macbook is coming in and I'm wondering if I should use MIgration Assistant to copy my files? Or, should I do it manually.

Thanks for your experiences!

Cheers,

Vex

TrevX
Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
I haven't done it Tiger->Leopard, but I did do it Tiger->Tiger and it worked fine. I can see no reason why it wouldn't work to Leopard as well. Leopard will integrate your Tiger user profiles and prefs just fine (doing an Archive and Install and keeping User and network settings works, and this is likely the same process that Migration Assistant would use). Give it a try! If it doesn't work, well you just got the machine and don't have to worry about losing any work, right? ;)

Trev

Fox
Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
I have done this on several occasions. Leopard will reject any extensions not compatible with it, put them on your desktop and issue an explanatory message. Just make sure you don't have an Application Enhancer preference pane lower than version 2.0.3 on your Tiger system when you migrate. Leopard will reject 2.0.3 but a lower version will install and not allow you to start up.

ChilBear
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
My little tip to add is do the Migration right at the start. I set up my account on the new iMac then migrated. Of course there was a conflict as you cannot move a name if same one exists. So things as a little off in the directory name wise but everything works after even for programs that would not load into Leopard. It saved lots of time.

BTW what is "Application Enhancer" Fox?

Fox
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
Application Enhancer is a preference pane put out by Unsanity (http://www.unsanity.com) that makes certain menu enhancers work on MacOS X. These include some of Unsanity's shareware apps, like FruitMenu, but it is also used by other companies' shareware apps. For some reason, this preference pane interferes with Leopard's startup routine and stops it in its tracks. The latest version (2.0.3) was either written to turn itself off in Leopard, or Leopard just recognizes it and refuses to install it. I'm surprised that Unsanity hasn't upgraded this yet because most of their utilities depend on it to run. They have about 10 utilities and only one is Leopard-compatible so far.

Regarding Migration Assistant, I would migrate immediately as ChilBear suggests rather than do it the way ChilBear did on his iMac. After you do a new install, you have to restart the Mac and immediately you get the "Welcome to Apple" stuff asking you to register, set up an account, etc. When it comes to setting up an account, you have the option right then of using Migration Assistant to migrate your existing account to the new Mac. Choose that option - it will then instruct you to connect the volume with the stuff you want migrated through Firewire Target Mode. Do it and everything will come out like it was. If you don't do it then but set up a new account instead, you can't transfer your stuff to it through Migration Assistant if the two accounts have the same name. If you want to keep the same name, I suppose you could set up the new account with a different name and delete it later, but why bother with this extra step?

saxamaphone
Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:22 AM
worked like a charm on my mac pro. copied everything from my tiger drive to my leopard drive. everything was set up as it should be, about 220GB of stuff copied over. that was the first time i ever used migration assistant and it worked flawlessly. im impressed.

word warrior
May 9th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Maybe Apple could have used MA to deliver my new imac.
It set out from Prague in the czech republic on 6th May 2008. it is now on it's final leg from UK midlands depot to my house 40 miles away on the 9th May 2008 Woo hoo it travelled via UPS via Germany and Belgium !!! :D

Seriously folks thanks for the help in this thread, just gathering enough information to get up and running as quickly as possible and this forum seemed to have the best guidance out there.
For info
have 800Mhz FP G4 iMac full of RAM migrating to 2.66Mhz 20" aluminium iMac
Just cloning HD onto external HD with Personal Backup X4 just in case and boy is everything slow on this machine while it's doing it. Might continue research on Powerbook G4. Keep waiting for typing to catch up.

Thanks again my mind is now at ease pending the migrate:cool:

eMacMan
May 9th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I have always preferred the direct copy route.

With third party applications I would do a fresh install of the latest available version. Especially if going from PPC to MacIntel. Reason for this; it is far too easy to migrate a PPC plug-in over to the new machine. From all reports Rosetta does love spinning that beachball.

All that said, some iLife applications may not give you a choice.

With address book export your contacts, and print them out then build from the vcards. Good chance to clean-out the garbage. Ditto with bookmarks.

shikotee
May 10th, 2008, 02:59 AM
Best way is to transfer manually, but to each their own!