: 20" or 22" LCD Monitor ?

johnnydee
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:30 AM
I need some advice regarding a monitor purchase!
I'm looking at a 20 or 22 " widescreen LCD purchase.
THere are so many models from which to choose and I will be buying online sight unseen. I would like to pay up to $300 for one.
I was wondering what features or specs I should be looking for?
Thanks John
:)

Adrian.
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:52 AM
I just bought a 21.6 Samsung LCD yesterday at futureshop for $269, at 60 dolllars off. I have been doing some serious research for a couple months now, and even at wholesale online retailers I could not find such a good deal. The screen is huge, no glare, excellent resolution and modern looking. Comes with a 3 year parts and labour warranty too!

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10088900&catid=25074

FeXL
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM
Last year about this time (Dec 6), Dell had their 12 days of deals on. If you are careful & research what you buy, there are some bargains to be had.

Pelao
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM
Here's a very recent review of the monitor Adrian purchased. Looks good for the price:

Macworld: Review: Samsung SyncMaster 206BW LCD monitor (http://www.macworld.com/2007/11/reviews/samsung206bw/index.php)

mc3251
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:55 AM
I don't think that the monitor review shown is the same monitor. Adrian bought a 216-this review is for a 206

mc3251
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:59 AM
Like everything, it all comes down to what you intend to use it for. If you need serious color accuracy for high end graphics work then you should look at professional series monitors-not gonna happen in your stated budget.
I have an LG 1951 which is a 19" and it is about a year and a half old. It claims to be 2000:1 CR-I don't frankly believe it. It is, however, a very good monitor, and at the time was one of the lower priced options. I preferred it to Samsung. But a year and a half is a lifetime in this biz, so I'm not sure about today.
I really think monitors are like speakers for home audio-they are very individual and really represent most of the "personality" of your system. I would personally hesitate to buy a monitor sight unseen.

Commodus
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM
As a general rule, I would go with a 20-inch model.

20-inch panels are more likely to have the full 16.7 million colors (Apple's iMac display notwithstanding), while every single 22-inch display has a reduced color depth to date - you may see a bit of color dithering. That and you're not gaining resolution, just physical size (and price).

Sadly, for now a 24-inch display is the only way to know you're getting a color-rich screen!

mc3251
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM
You might want to consider this, from macworld reviews

Macworld: Review: NEC MultiSync LCD205WXM monitor (http://www.macworld.com/2007/11/reviews/dell205wxm/index.php)

mc3251
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:22 AM
As a general rule, I would go with a 20-inch model.

20-inch panels are more likely to have the full 16.7 million colors (Apple's iMac display notwithstanding), while every single 22-inch display has a reduced color depth to date - you may see a bit of color dithering. That and you're not gaining resolution, just physical size (and price).

Sadly, for now a 24-inch display is the only way to know you're getting a color-rich screen!

This is great information. How can you tell? What do you look for in the specs?

mc3251
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
Here is a link from Tiger Direct
NEC LCD205WXM-BK 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1000:1, WSXGA+ 1680x1050, DVI-D, VGA(15-pin D-sub), Black, Built-In Speakers in Canada at TigerDirect.ca (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3281097&CatId=1410)

Not sure if you have any flexibility on budget. TD wants $190 for this thing..it looks like a good monitor.....

mc3251
Dec 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
I misquoted the price in my last post...the price for the NEC is 390

johnnydee
Dec 1st, 2007, 12:19 PM
I have found this one from dell with free shipping at $249!
Any comments?
John
Dell : DELL SP2008WFP 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor with Integrated Webcam : Displays : Home & Home Office (http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=320-6140)

Adrian.
Dec 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM
My Samsung monitor is a 216BW. It is 3000:1 ratio. I have a 23 inch hd apple monitor sitting right next to it. For the extra thousand dollars I would never have purchased an apple monitor. the difference is noticeable between the two when I am in inDesign or This screen provides rich colours at spectacular resolution. For under 300 dollars with tax you cannot beat this monitor.

mc3251
Dec 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM
I have serious questions about contrast ratio. I can't believe, when I actually look at the monitors in the stores, that one is 700:1 and another is 3000:1, and they look pretty much the same.
Does anyone know? Is CR as reported just so much BS? There is such an enormous range, it defies cred with me.

GratuitousApplesauce
Dec 1st, 2007, 01:47 PM
I need some advice regarding a monitor purchase!
I'm looking at a 20 or 22 " widescreen LCD purchase.
THere are so many models from which to choose and I will be buying online sight unseen. I would like to pay up to $300 for one.
I was wondering what features or specs I should be looking for?
Thanks John
:)

In my research for a recent LCD purchase (see this thread (https://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/58240-opinion-samsung-215tw-monitor.html)) I discovered that the underlying LCD panel technology is the most important determinant as to whether you will get a good monitor or not. Almost all the makers including even Apple with their new 20" iMac, have gone with the cheaper "TN" (stands for twisted nematic) panel technology rather than the several of the more expensive but higher quality technologies. Unfortunately you will never see a mention of the panel technology in the manufacturers specs, but Google searches can tell you that.

In the price range you are looking at I don't think you'll find anything but TN panels, but maybe you might trip across an amazing blowout deal somewhere. I ended up getting a 21" Samsung 215TW, for $379, which I'm really happy with so far. In the thread above I posted several links that give a lot of info on LCDs.

There may be some differences in the quality of the TN panels and I would check the models you are interested in and search through reviews using Google. If you live somewhere where you might be able to get out and see some of these monitors you should let your eyes tell you. Viewing angle on the cheaper LCDs is reduced but I gather that some are better than others.