: Getting Bluetooth to work with my Cell?

2hondas
Dec 1st, 2007, 02:57 AM
Hey everyone,

I got a LG Chocolate 8500 phone, and it has bluetooth. I am trying to send files between my MacBook and the phone, but it isn't working. When I try sending it from my MacBook, it says the "Services are not found". :confused: My bluetooth on my phone is on and discoverable...

I also have issues with sending and receiving files, from other phones to my phone. They can find my phone but cannot send files. :confused: :confused: Is there something wrong with my phone?? Or my MB??

This is very frustrating, because Telus never gave me a USB transfer cable with my phone.

gwillikers
Dec 1st, 2007, 03:54 AM
Browse some of the topics here (http://www.apple.com/support/bluetooth/), and see if maybe you've missed a step along the way.
For example, here's a good tip I stumbled across on that page...

When pairing with a Bluetooth phone, wait for the scan to complete before clicking Pair.

If you don't wait, the device appears in the pair window, but the pair process does not complete.

When pairing a device for the first time, you may see a hexadecimal representation of the device name in the device list. Do not attempt to pair with this device name, or the pairing attempt may not complete successfully. Instead, wait for the scan to complete. Then the device name should change to that which you specified when setting up the device. Select this name and click Pair.

Adrian.
Dec 1st, 2007, 09:55 AM
does a warning pop up on your phone that a computer is attempting to pair with it?

irontree
Dec 1st, 2007, 10:16 AM
Telus... that is your problem right there. They purposefully handicap their bluetooth features.

2hondas
Dec 1st, 2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the replies.

My computer DOES pair successfully with my phone. Phone recognizes it, i enter in the key my MacBook tells me, everything is fine. However, I cannot send files. I get the error msg from my MacBook "Services are not found" when i try to send a file, like a picture.

So what, should I go to Telus and say WTF? I went with Telus because they had a good plan (Student 25, 8 unlimited contacts, free evenings/weekends, 200 mins, etc.)

johnb1
Dec 1st, 2007, 01:08 PM
as you have found out, your mileage may vary. My mom's motorola krazr
works okay with BT. her husbands W 385 (which looks like a krazr) does not.
you may wanna try bitpim or moto4lin plus the appropriate cable. A pain I'm sure, and you could complain to telus, who'll probably tell you, "Well, why don't you try our handy Spark services...for a small fee". if you're in doubt, check apple's isync pages for stuff that'll play nice

I'll scout around for answer and get back to you on this

thanks

John B

irontree
Dec 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM
I believe there are hacks for it to enable file transfer but I don't know too much about them. You can yell at Telus until you're blue in the face but they probably won't know what you're talking about... the people who work there think the sole purpose of bluetooth is for a headset. I did my research before signing up with my cell provider (not to say that you didn't) and I'm sure glad I did because I've heard a lot of horror stories of people wanting to use bluetooth to it's full capacities on Telus and Bell phones. My SE W800i and Razr V3 work flawlessly -although the Razr doesn't work with Sailing Clicker... I regret not checking that out before I bought the thing. Oh well

johnnaryry
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM
Some service providers 'cripple' the Bluetooth profiles of their phones in order the force customers to use their turnstiles to move content and data.
Since Bluetooth file transfer involves a 'conversation' between the involved devices, if your mobile doesn't give your Mac the right answers when it attempts to deliver a file, then the Mac will report an error. I have the same problem with my Sprint Katana...

--ryan

2hondas
Dec 1st, 2007, 08:43 PM
Ah I see. Its kind of embarassing to have my Bluetooth not work, with my friend's phone, even though its relatively new (September). :-(

I guess Telus cheaped out and did some cost cutting (they didnt even give me a USB transfer cable :rolleyes: ).

Irontree, i believe if i have a USB cable, it would be just like a USB key? No need for those programs?

Thanks John B for scouting for an answer. Everyone's help is greatly appreciated. Now I have to look for a USB transfer cable..any ideas? I ain't into the EBay thing...

Trevor...
Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:06 AM
I don't believe OBEX is enabled on any CDMA Chocolates, you would need to enable it with a warranty voiding SEEM edit to the Qualcomm registry.

If you can find it you could also try flashing it with the Alltel branded firmware, but that will mess up your internet and mms settings.

johnb1
Dec 2nd, 2007, 05:48 PM
dunno---on motorola phones it's reg. usb to mini usb, but your lg chocolate may use something special and proprietary in which case, it's around $25 for cable

jb

johnnaryry
Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:46 PM
I don't believe OBEX is enabled on any CDMA Chocolates, you would need to enable it with a warranty voiding SEEM edit to the Qualcomm registry.

If you can find it you could also try flashing it with the Alltel branded firmware, but that will mess up your internet and mms settings.

Here's information on the Chocolate's Bluetooh profile:

LG VX-8500 Chocolate Specs & Features (Phone Scoop) (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=980)

--ryan