: Garmin announces new Maps

Brian Scully
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Available directly from Garmin for $69.95 US or supposedly from dealers like Best Buy and Canadian Tire... neither of which seem to have heard of them much less stock.
Be aware however that certain models like the popular Street Pilot C330 will only load American OR Canadian Map No longer is all of North America included
They claim the new maps are so large that the memory is insufficient
Mail from Garmin Tech support claims that if Canada Maps are selected the equivalent border States are included and of course Alaska

Thankfully my new Nuvi 250W has the total new maps included

Thom
Nov 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Do you have a link for this announcement or info?

Thanks

wcg
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:02 PM
GPS city has it here (http://www.gpscity.ca/item-garmin-update-city-navigator-nt-2008-north-america-dvd-unlocked/udcnusa8nt.htm).

I bought my Nuvi 660 in the summer, I'm checking to see if it's eligible for a free update.

wcg
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Okay, I did some checking. It looks like my Nuvi 660 is recent enough to not need an update. You get an unlock code with each product and you can use this to unlock the maps. It seems more recent Nuvi models have this 2008 map already - it's dated April 2007.

Unless someone knows anything different, I don't think I can update anything at the moment....:confused:

Brian Scully
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Do you have a link for this announcement or info?

Thanks

here is another one at the same site

City Navigator 2008 MapSource Update Garmin GPS Rebate FOR USA TOPO! (http://www.gpscentral.ca/mapsourceupdate.htm)

The original announcement from Garmin came via e-mail to me

BReligion
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Available directly from Garmin for $69.95 US or supposedly from dealers like Best Buy and Canadian Tire... neither of which seem to have heard of them much less stock.
Be aware however that certain models like the popular Street Pilot C330 will only load American OR Canadian Map No longer is all of North America included
They claim the new maps are so large that the memory is insufficient
Mail from Garmin Tech support claims that if Canada Maps are selected the equivalent border States are included and of course Alaska

Thankfully my new Nuvi 250W has the total new maps included

This was actually realeased in July... And if you have a c330 (like me) you can load the full update i was told.. The 330 doesn' have a big enough HD to hold the full update, so when you update, you choose which you want (CDN or American Maps) on the HD and you can install the other on an SD card, and just leave it in the slot.

Also, they are currently beyond back ordered... I actually just got of the phone with Garmin (been waiting for my upgrade since the beginning of the month). They are still shipping orders from Oct 25th. So it is going to be a bit of a wait...

emz
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:12 PM
This was actually realeased in July... And if you have a c330 (like me) you can load the full update i was told.. The 330 doesn' have a big enough HD to hold the full update, so when you update, you choose which you want (CDN or American Maps) on the HD and you can install the other on an SD card, and just leave it in the slot.

Also, they are currently beyond back ordered... I actually just got of the phone with Garmin (been waiting for my upgrade since the beginning of the month). They are still shipping orders from Oct 25th. So it is going to be a bit of a wait...

Yup, I called them last week after registering my Garmin 350w for a city 2008 map upgrade and basically CSR told me that they're backed up for at least 2 weeks

ehMax
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:23 PM
On the topic of GPS systems... was interested in getting one. Holy confusing shopping for one! Garmin has like 20 models that all look the same but different.
Any preference of Garmin GPS systems over TomTom? (Or are they the same company)

Garmin could take a lesson from Apple on simplicity of product lines.

wonderings
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:34 PM
I personally like the Garmin products. I have 3 of them. Very simple to use and come preloaded with all of N. America. I have used a tom tom once, its a good unit, but I found I liked the interface better on the Garmin. Garmins customer support is also top notch. A problem I had with one, they sent me a brand new one just like that (I had to just send the old one back)

ehMax
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I personally like the Garmin products. I have 3 of them. Very simple to use and come preloaded with all of N. America. I have used a tom tom once, its a good unit, but I found I liked the interface better on the Garmin. Garmins customer support is also top notch. A problem I had with one, they sent me a brand new one just like that (I had to just send the old one back)

I take it both have equally good Mac support?

Mr. Fartleberry
Nov 30th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Both companies disappoint regarding GPS. Apple doesn't want any part of it and Garmin doesn't want any part of MacUsers. I've given up ragging Garmin on the issue over the past few years. I just won't buy their product again when my old one fails.

Anyone remember Garmin's promise to be Mac compliant a year or two ago? I think a rather useless piece of software (compatibility checker or such nonsense) appeared on the very last day of the year.

Best Buy et al. only stock car GPS now. Everyone is better off running Bootcamp when it comes to GPS. And don't bother - you won't change my mind. :baby:

iMuck
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Actually, Garmin has made good on a lot of Mac compatibility. You can now update firmware and view/manage/download maps via a Mac, although you need to have the PC maps converted to Mac format first (they provide the conversion software which unforunately you need a PC for)

I have a Garmin Vista HCx which I use on my bicycle for long distance tours and I am really happy with it. I rode from Ottawa to Windsor last summer and I never got lost and it led me to some pretty sweet roads that had the least traffic.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/kitchissippi/GPS2.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i231/kitchissippi/GPS1.jpg

(( p g ))
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM
That's the coolest use of a GPS I've seen!

As for Mac support, I own a TomTom and the app that comes with it runs just as smoothly on my iMac as it does on my wife's PC. Nice little GPS.

Brian Scully
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:20 PM
That's the coolest use of a GPS I've seen!

As for Mac support, I own a TomTom and the app that comes with it runs just as smoothly on my iMac as it does on my wife's PC. Nice little GPS.

seems to be the GPS of choice in Europe as their Tele Atlas maps are perhaps better for Europe than North America

Garmin and their Navteq maps seem to be better for North America

I am still very very confused as to the new Garmin maps as they relate to the C 330 Street Pilot unit

Some claim that the American Maps can be loaded to a SD card and the Canadian maps to the internal hard drive .

I suggested that this might be a solution but the Garmin Tech's reply to me did not indicate that this is possible and the only choice is American lower 48 or Canada and Alaska but that border states would/might be included

Does anybody have a definitive answer ?

Has anybody actually installed both countries on a C330 with a SD card from the new maps DVD?

If so what size SD card did you use ?

With 2 gig SD cards being under 30 dollars I find it hard to believe that Garmin would **** off their C330 customer base if a solution could be obtained for such a minimal amount

Scamp
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I have not tried this as I just bought my Garmin c330, so ....

LOAD FULL 2008 NORTH AMERICA MAP On The C330 And SD CARD

I did exactly what Bandaid did..
I played around with my C330 for a while, i was even able to install the USA maps to the SD card Via the GPS, using the "MapInstall" program. But that took long and was quite annoying.

So for my fellow C330 owners that want to have both Canada and US 2008 map update on their GPS this is what you have to do.

Must have:
1 - Street pilot C330 (duh)
2 - 512mb SD card (You can get a bigger card, but why waste more money)
3 - SD card reader (Fellow member said he was able to use his HP camera, which is SD card compatible to read the card.)
4 - Garmin 2008 Map Update North America

What to DO:

1 - connect the GPS to the computer
2 - Insert the Map update disk
3 - Install the Lower 48 states, United States
(Reason - I believe the C330 has around 1000mb of memory and the "US 48 states" map uses around 900mb" while Canada uses 400mb...which is why you will need that 512mb SD card later)

4 - Once the GPS is updated with the US map. Browse the Map update disk contents. This can be done with going to "My Computer" right click on your CD/DVD drive and click on "Explore"

5 - Open the folder called "img"

6 - Copy the file called "gmappromU.img" file is around 430mb. (This is the map file for Canada)

7 - Insert your SD card into your card reader and connect it to your computer. A window should pop up. If not you should see it on your "My Computer"

8 - Once you have navigated your way into the SD card directory. Create a folder on the SD card named "garmin" (no caps)

9 - Go into your newly created "garmin" folder right click and paste the "gmappromU.img" file. (This may take upto 20 to 30 mins)

10 - Once the process is complete, Rename the "gmappromU.img" file to --> "gmapsupp.img" (watch for spelling, no caps at all)

11 - Remove the SD card, Turn off your GPS, Insert SD card into GPS.

12 - Turn on GPS, let it load, and there you have it, the FULL North America Map.

Test it out, when you are searching a state or province (depending where you are located) it will give you an option which map to use, Canada/Alaska or the lower 48 US states. Select your map and you are set to Go.

I hope this helps anyone that might be having problems.

Thom
Nov 30th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I have a Street Pilot c330 and find the Mac interface is excellent. Performs all software updates flawlessly over the 'net. I even use my Mac to upload points of interest (POI) into the GPS.

I use the GPS IN and ON all my vehicles. It is indispensible on my annual motorcycle trips.. especially when it comes to finding gas stations on out of the way roads.
http://webhome.idirect.com/~thom/garminbike1.jpg
http://webhome.idirect.com/~thom/garminbike2.jpg