: Uploading home videos from camera

tdogg
Nov 29th, 2007, 09:40 AM
My parents are coming this weekend from the city, and my dad has a video camera. I want to impress them by putting my sons birthday celebration onto a DVD but I don't know where to start. I know that I need to plug it into the computer, but after that...don't have the slightest!

Can anyone offer some tips so I don't look like an idiot?

hhk
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Does the camcorder have a firewire port? If so, you just plug that into your Mac and start up iMovie. iMovie recognizes the camera and gives you a blue scree with the word "Import" on it. You push Import and the camera should start playing and iMovie should start capturing the video. Sometimes you have to push play on the camera separately.

If no firewire, then you need some sort of analog to digital converter to get the video into the Mac.

Once captured, you edit, add titles, etc. and then you use the options in the Share menu to burn to a DVD.

P.S. Sony calls their firewire port - "iLink"

tdogg
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Its a sony, so I'm sure it has one....most do, don't they?

keebler27
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:55 AM
well, tdogg, i don't want to burst your bubble, but this might be a frustrating experience for you. only frustrating if you try to do it quickly. if you have time, it'll work.

the steps are:
1. film the bday. make sure you don't film into light (biggest issue i see transferring home vids for folks...someone always films facing a window...makes everything dark. very bad!).

2. the sony camcorder probably has firewire, aka IEEE1394. you need connect the wire (usually a 6 pin to 4 pin) to your mac

3. using imovie, capture it. check the manual or help feature as it will have all the instructions there. a few things to keep track of and too many to list here, but it's easy enough.

4. edit your movie in imovie...add text titles...transitions etc..etc..

5. output your movie to mpeg2 or .mov (not sure which imovie uses b/c i use final cut)

6. create the dvd menu in idvd (assuming you don't have dvd studio pro). add your movie.

7. burn.

There will be a long encoding process where imovie or idvd compresses your footage into mpeg2 format. This is where it might take a looooong time, depending on your mac's speed.

Hope that helps and I hope I didn't crush you. It's fun to do, but until you learn the ropes a bit, can be a little daunting. Keep at it though and good luck!

Cheers,
Keebler

hhk
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM
I concur. It is not as easy as Apple (or any other video/computer mfg.) would have you believe.

Make sure you give yourself lots of time. When I make a vacation video, it takes me 3-4 solid days to produce a 15 minute video. It's not something you want to do with your Dad looking over your shoulder.

One thing you might want to try - I think iDVD has some feature called "One-touch Video" or something like that. I've never used it but it's supposed to be a quick way to make a no frills DVD.

Oh and make sure you have the right cable - the correct connector on each end of your Firewire cable. If the Sony camcorder is digital (ie. Digital8 or miniDV, it should have Firewire). If it's an old 8mm, it won't have it.

tdogg
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:36 AM
No bubbles bursting here, keebler! I have no problems admitting that I have NO idea what I'm doing. I just want to put his video onto DVD, they are easily impressed! lol

It doesn't need to be fancy for the time being, and I guess once I upload it, I can play with it later, can't I? ...see I don't know the first thing!

keebler27
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:14 PM
no problems. as long as you don't erase the material/footage, you can edit.

i typically create a build (not sure if idvd can do that) and then review the build before burning.

have fun :)

tdogg
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:23 PM
huh...build? what the heck? ..would that be the "movie"

...seriously what have I got myself into?!!! LOL

absolutetotalgeek
Nov 30th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Make sure you give yourself lots of time. When I make a vacation video, it takes me 3-4 solid days to produce a 15 minute video. It's not something you want to do with your Dad looking over your shoulder.

Not sure what you're doing but, well....;)

Man it's like a gravy process, gawd you could make sandwiches and do what you want to do. From off-load to finished burn like maybe 4 hours tops. :D Gravy.

hhk
Dec 1st, 2007, 04:20 AM
Not sure what you're doing but, well....;)

Man it's like a gravy process, gawd you could make sandwiches and do what you want to do. From off-load to finished burn like maybe 4 hours tops. :D Gravy.

I'm not talking about a straight transfer. I'm talking about a Spielbergian epic.