: all this talk about toast

tdogg
Nov 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Is there a big difference from different versions of Toast?

fyrefly
Nov 27th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Added features usually... but the interface has been the same since Version 6 and if you just wanna burn Data/Audio/DVDs - then you can use 6, 7, or 8. They do the same thing.

screature
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Added features usually... but the interface has been the same since Version 6 and if you just wanna burn Data/Audio/DVDs - then you can use 6, 7, or 8. They do the same thing.

Not quite accurate Fyrefly, Toast 8 Titanium has a slicker interface and animated windows version 7 did not. Toast 8 also includes Deja Vu backup software, CD Spin Doctor, Disc Cover, and Motion Pictures HD. Toast 8 is also univesal binary so if you you are running a MacIntel system you get a definite performance boost over version 7 or 6.

I do agree with what you say though that If basic burning is all you're after then any of these versions will suit, but having used all three I can say that I find the interface of ver. 8 to be more pleasant and that it definitely performs better than version 7 on MacIntels.

tdogg
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:24 PM
so if what I am looking for is really a way to back up my dvd collection, then 6 will do, right? I am by no means a computer "guru" so would I really notice a difference?

Heart
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:29 PM
Another product that Roxio makes is Popcorn.

Popcorn lets you easily make high quality copies of your DVDs and movies. Take television and other video from your Mac to a broad range of consumer ...
Roxio Popcorn® 3 - DVD Copy - Overview (http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/popcorn/standard/)

In v.8 the abilities of Popcorn are included in with Titanium 8.

-The program Popcorn is available as a stand alone for those users with v.6 and v.7.

- I am not a fan of the animation effects in v.8 as I feel they take away for the CPU especially on my PPC.

tdogg
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:36 PM
so Popcorn basically does most of the same things that Toast does. I don't need both...is that what I am reading? I'm a little confused by your post, "in v.8 the abilities of popcorn are included with Titanium 8" does this mean that in v.8 of toast, basically its the same as popcorn?

thejst
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM
so Popcorn basically does most of the same things that Toast does. I don't need both...is that what I am reading? I'm a little confused by your post, "in v.8 the abilities of popcorn are included with Titanium 8" does this mean that in v.8 of toast, basically its the same as popcorn?

There used to be two programs, Toast and Popcorn.

With v.8 Popcorn is now part of Toast's functionality.

switch
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I think you would only need popcorn if you want to backup your movies onto your harddrive. But if you want to make backup discs, then you would need toast as well.

Now you have to keep in mind that if you want to back up DVD of hollywood movies, they mostly have encryption that prevents programs like Popcorn from ripping. Popcorn is designed for ripping your own home movie collections that doesn't have encryption.

So you'll need other software to rip, then maybe use Popcorn and/or Toast to put it into a format you want.

tdogg
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:48 PM
so like mactheripper?

Andrew Pratt
Nov 27th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Yes MactheRipper and Toast work very well together for that purpose. Use MTR to extract the movie then Toast to compress and remove unwanted features etc.

krs
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Does anyone use a freebie program called "Burn"?

I just recently discovered that - tried to burn two disks, the first one was a movie file (actually a school play that was on VHS) in mpeg-4. Burn converted it to a standard DVD file, burned it to a DVD and it played perfectly on a regular DVD player.
For the second one, "Burn" claimed that some files had to be converted to make them 'burnable' - never had the time to get to the bottom of it.
I also have toast which I have used occasionally and it works fine everytime - however, it seems "Burn" has more conversion options so I'm going to look into it a bit closer.

mcoltezo
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:55 PM
What if you've got DVD Studio Pro? Is there any need to have Toast as well? And what about idvd?

Thanks

tdogg
Nov 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I used iDVD after ripping part of a movie to my computer. The problem I was having with iDVD is that I couldn't figure out how to make the file smaller once I ripped it to my system. Wait, tho, I think maybe I used BURN, but I can't remember. I am so frustrated with all this "use this, no use that" I tried too many things and couldn't remember which ones worked. Hence the reason I want one program that can do it all. If I have to use MTR with toast, then fine. But apparently its pretty easy.

krs
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Does Toast actually compress files?
Never tried that - I usually use another program to change the file type or compress the file before I burn. That way I have more control over file size vs quality.