: Canadian Electric trucks vs. Bureaucracy

MasterBlaster
Nov 27th, 2007, 03:46 AM

EvanPitts
Nov 27th, 2007, 09:52 AM
It is the same story with other transportation devices, like the Segway. Did you know that according to the Government, the Segway is a device that is entirely unsafe at any speed, and is in fact, a killing machine? Same with electrically assisted bicycles, which are profoundly unsafe killing machines. Of course, a drunk dude in a Magnum is the opposite case, entirely safe and practical, and incapable of killing even the smallest moth... According to our Government.

They have also hampered the adoption of hydrogen powered vehicles, fuel cells, and they even managed recently to kill off natural gas powered vehicles (except for fleet use because the local transit company is Government operated).

They always say that there is no "infrastructure" for alternate fuels; but never once have I seen a photograph or painting from the 19th century that shows a gas station / car wash / variety store combo on a freeway...

Kosh
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
It is the same story with other transportation devices, like the Segway. Did you know that according to the Government, the Segway is a device that is entirely unsafe at any speed, and is in fact, a killing machine?

Actually, it is a dangerous machine. It can go quite fast and people tend to forget safety gear. As well, where do you ride it, on the street or the sidewalk? There are of course places it could be useful, if used properly.

Why electric trucks and cars are not used in Canada and USA, well, that's the blame of the American oil and car industry. Just read the story of the EV1 - General Motors EV1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ev1) A sad tale. They even have a movie about it - Who Killed the Electric Car? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Killed_the_Electric_Car%3F)

martman
Nov 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Same with electrically assisted bicycles, which are profoundly unsafe killing machines.

Actually you are wrong here. Electric assist bikes are legal, you don't need a license or insurance to drive one. I have one and I love it.

Blue Avenue Electric Bikes (http://www.blueavenue.ca/WebSunrisePage.html)
Electric bikes bicycle - Ontario - Canada - Toronto electric bike, power assisted bicycles, motor ebike, Toronto ebike, (http://www.daymak.com/bikes-toronto/eb/mainsect.html)
TheStar.com | News | Electric bike riders razzed by police, cyclists (http://www.thestar.com/News/article/229851)
Under provincial regulations, riders don't need a licence, registration or insurance. All they need is to be at least 16 years old and wearing a helmet. They cannot exceed 32 km/hr and they can use all the bike paths and lanes something that many police officers are just learning.

They cost anywhere from $600 to $1,500 which for most commuters, pays for itself within a year.

"It's equivalent to the cost of car insurance," said Wiebe, 44, who bought his after the birth of his third child meant a minivan replaced the family's two cars. He chose it for independence and easy travel. It takes him 30 minutes to cover the 10 kilometres to work.

He doesn't have to deal with traffic, finding parking spots or fuelling up on gas.

Blue Avenue Electric Bikes (http://www.blueavenue.ca/WebRLaw.html)
Power-Assisted/Electric Bicycles Can be Operated on Roads in Ontario

Effective October 3, 2006, the Province of Ontario began a three-year pilot project to evaluate the use of power-assisted bicycles also known as electric bike, electric bicycle, ebike, e-bike, on roads and highways where conventional bicycles are currently allowed. The pilot is opened to all Ontarians 16 years of age and older and will run for three years. For the duration of the pilot, electric bicycles will be treated as bicycles and must follow the same rules of the road as set out in the Highway Traffic Act that currently apply to cyclists.

There are two exceptions:
Operators must be 16 years of age or older, and All operators must wear an approved bicycle helmet at all times.

1) No driver's licence is required,
2) No written test is required,
3) No vehicle registration or plate required,
4) No requirement for motor vehicle liability insurance.
5) An e-bike is a bike that:
(i)has steering handlebars and is equipped with pedals;
(ii)is designed to be propelled primarily by muscular power and to travel on not more than three wheels;
(iii)has a motor that has a power output rating of 500W or less. (Note: the motor is electric, and is incapable of propelling the cycle at speed of 32km/h or greater on level ground, without pedaling.)
(iv)has the proper label stating that it's a Power-assisted bicycle and meets all the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations.

The power-assisted bicycle pilot is authorized by Ontario Regulation 473/06. In this regulation, the legal definition of an ebike refers to the Federal definition of a power-assisted bicycle. For the full definition, please see subsection 2(1) of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

I'm dreading the winter when I have to go back to the TTC...

EvanPitts
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Actually, it is a dangerous machine. It can go quite fast and people tend to forget safety gear. As well, where do you ride it, on the street or the sidewalk? There are of course places it could be useful, if used properly.

You can go much faster in a car and kill people in the process. It is fair to say that the roads are the scene of daily slaughter. But the Government seems to think that the Segway is a killing machine, while they do so very little to make the roads safe. I think there is much room to have devices such as the Segway. Cities need to be intelligently designed by people that are intelligent; not by corrupt political morons and greedy developers. Perhaps riders of the Segway should have to bve licenced. We can not sit still while we clobber the world with pollution, we have to take those steps to make the world a better place. Sure, someone can get hurt on a Segway, but I doubt that anyone could cause the same havoc that a car collision has during rush hour.

Why electric trucks and cars are not used in Canada and USA, well, that's the blame of the American oil and car industry.

That stuff is just whacked! There are so many couriers that could easily use electric vehicles. I was wondering today why we need the following delivery vehicles idling in front of the shop: Purolator, UPS, FedEx, etc... We probably get ten or twelve vehicles, maybe they should have a system where one electric vehicle services the neighbourhood, rather than big vans that cover half a county. Oh, competition, that is, profits! And GM took to stealing the EV1 cars while they were in use by their customers. I bet all of them are now driving Toyotas... Chrysler also killed of the Turbine car in the 60's, saying that they wasted too much fuel - though they never showed one shred of proof for this.

I think that so much good could come out of doing things rationally; but as we know, these things will not be done because of the worship of the almighty dollar.

EvanPitts
Nov 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Actually you are wrong here. Electric assist bikes are legal, you don't need a license or insurance to drive one.

It's funny, I was just sitting here at my desk reading the memo that came with my licence plate renewal saying that the Government had just made them legal for a three year trial... They were putting them down a year or so ago, saying that they are both extremely dangerous and very polluting. I guess someone showed them what it was (maybe the Green Party when they had their shindig at Queen's Park), and they figured it was good because people would plug them into the wall, and you know where power comes from...

I'm dreading the winter when I have to go back to the TTC...

I'm dreading having to scrape the car off in the morning. Maybe I'll spend a few months sleeping in with the girlfriend, win a lottery and move to somewhere sunnier...