: Maxing out ram in powerbook g4

alex wilson
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Just wondering what kind of differance i should expect if i were to max out the ram in my g4 pbook.
Its the 15" 1.67 (non-HD) model, already has 1gig, runs pretty well most of the time. I mostly use it for web browsing, msn, itunes, pretty minor stuff. However, i would like to do more photo editing, and right now its nothing spectacular even in iphoto, let alone photoshop.
Let me know if youve had any experiances jumping from 1 to 2gigs with this model, in regards to heavier apps. cheers.

Atroz
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:35 PM
HI,

I'm typing this on a 1.5Ghz G4 power book with 1.5 Gigs of RAM. I went from .5 to 1.5 and saw a big difference in somethings. I don't know if you'd see a lot of difference in going from 1 to 2 for most things. I would expect it would help for Photo editing.

You may want to use the "Activity Viewer" to track your memory/disk usage and see how often you are swapping back to disk. I also like "Menu Meters" which gives you a nice little display in the menu bar. It can tell you how much RAM you are using, how much Virtual Memory and exactly when it is swapping.

alex wilson
Nov 26th, 2007, 09:24 PM
i noticed canadaram has a bit of sale on 2gigs (180), cant decide whether or not it'll make enough of a differance in the laptop to warrant the expense.

alex wilson
Feb 8th, 2008, 02:42 PM
do i need to look for a specific type of pc2700? in regrads to pin-count or speed? im not very familiar with ram specs.

CanadaRAM
Feb 8th, 2008, 05:57 PM
How much of a difference it will make depends a lot on what you are doing with your machine. If you are constantly multitasking, or if you are using Photoshop, digital audio or digital video production software, then you are likely to see a good improvement.

One thing you can do is to check your Activity Monitor / System Memory and see what your PageIn / PageOut ratios are:

Your PageOuts should be 5% or less of your PageIns. If the PageOut ratio gets over 10%, it means that you are regularly exceeding the installed memory of the machine, and forcing the OS to swap memory on and off the hard drive, which slows the machine down.

Your best bet is to go with a reputable dealer who guarantees compatibility with your model Mac.