: MacBook Core Duo vs. Core 2 Duo

G-Mo
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
The MacBook (1.83 GHz and 2.0 GHz) was released as a Core Duo in early 2006 and then a Core 2 Duo in late 2006, my question: How can you tell the difference?

Thanx!

Phat Bastard
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Um, here's a wild guess: it's faster?

G-Mo
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Um, here's a wild guess: it's faster?

:confused:

Ahhh... Another infamous ehMac useless sarcastic response! It's unfortunate, but I should have expected as much...

nm... some Google work led me to a useful Mac forum where it seems "About This Mac" will specify the deeper details of the processor... Having only worked with PowerPC Mac's previously, I wasn't sure!!?

titans88
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Ahhh... Another infamous ehMac useless sarcastic response! It's unfortunate, but I should have expected as much...

nm... some Google work led me to a useful Mac forum where it seems "About This Mac" will specify the deeper details of the processor... Having only worked with PowerPC Mac's previously, I wasn't sure!!?

It is frustrating here sometimes isn't it! From time to time i'm afraid to ask an honest question, knowing i'll get a response like the one you did.

bmovie
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:25 PM
It is frustrating here sometimes isn't it! From time to time i'm afraid to ask an honest question, knowing i'll get a response like the one you did.

Yeah I read this and the response was very disappointing...no cool.

infinity8
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:26 PM
In many ways Core 2 is the same as Core: The chips are built using the same production process and fit in the same sockets as Core Duo chips. Putting aside Core 2 Extreme (a fancy version of the Core 2 Duo), you won't see many spec changes: Both chips have the same frontside bus speed of 667MHz, but Core 2 Duo is now available at somewhat faster clock specs. The frontside bus communicates between the CPU and RAM (and other components), and it's a notorious performance bottleneck for computers. The Core 2 also has the same L2 cache that the Core has. However, there are architecture changes to the silicon that give the Core 2 more sophisticated processing abilities.

Why does all of this matter? Performance, pure and simple. Core 2 Duo computers outperform Core Duo computers on tasks across the board, from rendering graphics and video to spell-checking documents. The speed improvement varies widely, but on average it's about 30 percent. That's significant in an industry that thrives on tiny, incremental improvement. Better yet, there's not an appreciable difference in battery life on notebooks, as power consumption for both chips (at the same clock speed) is about the same.

cdnbacon
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I have a Core Duo MBP 17", and haven't found the value to upgrade to the latest processor to be worth the money, though perhaps having the ability of adding more RAM might be appealing to me. If you were buying a new machine and your application is very demanding, then there may be some value to getting the latest and greatest and load it up with RAM and the fastest hard drive you can afford.

zmttoxics
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
The about this computer says core duo or core 2 duo.

The core 2 duo is a better arch over the core duo, computing more tasks a clock. For example, if i do 2 and second, and you do 3 a second, exponentially the difference is insane.

Core 2 Duo is defitely better, but that wasnt the point. To really tell the difference, check the system specs in the about this mac.

satchmo
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Which is why I chose to spend more time on other Apple forums. This one is fine for the Canadian spin, but I can live without the rude responses of some.

There are jerks everywhere, but it seems to be more common here than on other Apple forums where no question is a dumb question.
It's unfortunate that a few bad apples (pun intended), can taint a totally good community.

G-Mo
Nov 26th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Which is why I chose to spend more time on other Apple forums.

What other Apple forums do you spend time on? I'm interested!!? You can PM me if you don't want to post...

titans88
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:17 PM
What other Apple forums do you spend time on? I'm interested!!? You can PM me if you don't want to post...

I'm interested as well!

zenith
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Don't bother with MacNN Forums. There are a few good guys there, but the majority are total bastards.

zmttoxics
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM
You guys have it easy here :p.

I like this place after years of being on hardocp. Also, was the question answered?

dona83
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM
The CoreDuo is a 32 bit processor, the Core2Duo is a 64 bit processor. You will enjoy faster computing especially on Leopard, therefore I'd go with Core2Duo if I were you. It wasn't apparent with Tiger -- my MBP C2D 2.16 was no faster than my old iMac CD 2.0 -- but with Leopard my MBP has been zum-zum, not to infringe on a certain car company's trademark. :) This is with a straight upgrade mind you, apparently my machine can be even faster if I did a clean install.

zmttoxics
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Oh ya, and they're 64 bit :p.

Kestral
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Real World Speed Tests for Performance Minded Mac Users (http://www.barefeats.com/)

screature
Nov 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM

G-Mo, while I do appreciate and share your frustration with a few people around here, I have stuck it out and I am glad that I have, there are some very knowledgeable people around and some who truly just want to help and build a community. It's just like the rest of life you are going to run into a-holes everywhere, but also like the old song says (and again pun intended) "one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch".

Also what other kind of response would you expect from somebody who refers to them self as "Phat Bastard"?

mpuk
Nov 27th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Core 2 Duo also has less hardware issues...I had the 1.86 model, and returned it to Apple for repairs 3X before they decided to just give me a new 2.0 Core 2 Duo that has had no issues since. (Lots of random shutdowns was my problem...)

They did come out with the Core 2 Duo version pretty fast after the initial Core Duo...that might also give some kind of hint, imo.