: Congrats People and fans Of Saskatchewan

krug1313
Nov 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Just want to say congrats on the Greycup win. Well played.

zenith
Nov 25th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Migawd. If one more car drives by waving a bloody Roughrider's pennant and honking their horn, I am going to shoot their tires out.

Oakbridge
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:05 AM
I was at the game, courtesy of my girlfriend who works at Wendy's Canadian Head Office and won a pair of tickets. Nineteen rows up, sixteen yard line.

30 years ago I was a diehard Argo fan, going to almost every home game, making the trips to Hamilton, etc. Then I found the NFL and the number of mistakes that both the Argos and the CFL made helped to destroy my faith. I lost interest completely and actually became a Buffalo Bills season's ticket holder. But over time I eventually stopped going to their games as well. However I still follow them, even through the 4 consecutive Super Bowl losses.

I re-developed a bit of interest in the Argos during the past few years mainly because of Pinball Clemons. When I found out I was going to the game tonight, I really wanted to see two teams win their playoff games, the Argos because Pinball has shown that in this day of the Michael Vicks and the Ricky Williams that there are men with class and style who play and coach professional football. I wanted to see him coach in another Grey Cup game. The other team I wanted to see was the Saskatchewan Roughriders or 'the Green Riders' as I still think of them. My late Dad was born in a small town in Saskatchewan. That was a part of it, but the other reason is what I've heard and read about the Roughrider fans.

They are what professional sports fans should be. They are loyal and dedicated and know how to have fun without becoming idiots. They showed all of that tonight. I think it also rubs off on the players because I saw things before the game, during the game, and after the game that really impressed me. A player actually standing in front of the stands before the game signing autographs and posing for pictures. Players running over to touch a green 'buddah' statue that fans had in the stands. Players running over to acknowledge the Riders Pep Squad who were sitting in the corner in the 200 level. Players bringing the Grey Cup over to the fans sitting in the stands to let them share in the celebration.

I'm not a big Leaf fan but I do turn the game on from time to time. I'm amazed at why the seats look so empty. It's been explained to me that almost all the lower level seats are now corporate owned. The tickets prices have been inflated so much that the average fan can't afford them anymore. However the people who get these corporate seats are always the last to arrive and the first to leave. Many of them will not return to their seats after the first intermission, choosing to stay in the bar area instead and watch the game on the televisions there, even though the actual game is being played just a few steps away.

The Roughrider fans, as well as the Blue Bomber fans showed how to support a team tonight. They showed that they are both classy groups and they earned my respect.

Let them honk their horns for a few hours. I'm guessing that the ones that I saw at the game would be respectful enough to stop by 11 or midnight at the latest.

Saying that you'll "shoot their tires out", I don't even want to comment.

MasterBlaster
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:51 AM

gwillikers
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:36 AM
My wife and I were born and raised in Regina, moving to Vancouver in 1989, the last year that the Riders won the Grey Cup. We still bleed green, and always will.

It may be difficult for some to understand, but being the only big thing in Saskatchewan, along with a strong history, and constantly being the smaller budget underdog, seems to largely account for the dedication they receive from so many. Lots of tradition involved, passed down from parents to children. Stories galore about dressing like an arctic explorer and attending Taylor Field in sub-zero temperatures with a thermos full of assorted beverages. One part torture, two parts fun.

In any event, my wife and I are very pleased to see them succeed this year. :clap: The Blue Bombers deserve a lot of credit too. :clap:

dona83
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Migawd. If one more car drives by waving a bloody Roughrider's pennant and honking their horn, I am going to shoot their tires out.

Only in Toronto... maybe in Vancouver...

I guess in Torontah it's illegal to cheer for any other team.

You guys hosted the Grey Cup, at least host it with respect. :P

Pylonman
Nov 26th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I was at last years Grey Cup in Vancouver. It was great time and no matter what team party you were are at. Everywhere you look there's always a devoted Rough Riders fan. Great costumes and big smiles. I'm guessing it will take a week before everyone in Saskatchewan goes back to work. :clap:

zenith
Nov 26th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Only in Toronto... maybe in Vancouver...

I guess in Torontah it's illegal to cheer for any other team.

You guys hosted the Grey Cup, at least host it with respect. :P

I don't live in Toronto.

MannyP Design
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I don't live in Toronto.

It must be your accent.

zenith
Nov 26th, 2007, 07:02 PM
It must be your accent.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: