: Installing Leopard OS 10.5

georgem
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I'm looking for advice on how to install Leopard on the Mac Mini, I presently use Panther 10.3.9. Do I have to trash that before I install 10.5? Or can I leave Panther in there and would Leopard take over as the new operating system? Any advice would be appreciated,
Thanks, George.

NBiBooker
Nov 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
George,

Your best option is to do an archive and install. It'll convert all your user settings to the new OS. When the install is done, you simply erase the Previous System folder.

rgray
Nov 25th, 2007, 04:25 PM
"Upgrade" - most problems :eek:
"Archive and Install" - ??
"Erase and Install" - least problems - that is zero issues for all that I have done :clap: read all the threads on the subject
YMMV... :D

fyrefly
Nov 25th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Also depends on what version of Leopard you're installing.

Retail version -- best bet is erase and install - back up your documents/music/photos/etc... beforehand.

Upgrade version - Not sure that would even work going from 10.3 -- I think the upgrade has to be from 10.4.

Note: the upgrade version is only given to people who qualify for the "up to date" program (ie: Bought a mac sometime in October) -- so I'm assuming since you're running 10.3 that you didn't buy your comp recently - so you should be fine.

spoonie
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
i installed leopard to a new drive (you could use a partition), and used the migration tool to copy over my apps, files, setup, etc. during the install (it comes up as an option).

I gotta say - whoever wrote the migration tool should be up for a pulitzer prize - it actually WORKS! **EVERYTHING** worked except 1 item (and that's a leopard/driver issue i resolved after the fact).

~spoonie