: Pundit face plant for your amusement

MacDoc
Nov 25th, 2007, 01:31 AM
MAY 21, 2001

NEWS: ANALYSIS & COMMENTARY
By Cliff Edwards

Commentary: Sorry, Steve: Here's Why Apple Stores Won't Work
New retail outlets aren't going to fix Apple's sales

BW Online | May 21, 2001 | Commentary: Sorry, Steve: Here's Why Apple Stores Won't Work (http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/01_21/b3733059.htm?chan=search)

:rolleyes:

optical
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:40 AM
That's almost as funny as Michael Dell's comment suggesting that Apple should close up shop and give the money back to the stock holders from around that same time period.

Thanks for sharing.

iMatt
Nov 25th, 2007, 02:46 PM
In fairness to the pundit, he was just summing up the consensus of the time. And it did make a lot of sense: the iPod wasn't on the scene yet, so Apple didn't have a popular consumer-oriented product to get people in the door; the Mac was on the way up but still much, much more niche than mainstream.

To outside observers who had no idea the iPod was coming or how huge a hit it would be, nor any reason to believe the Mac was going to make a major comeback, it was perfectly reasonable to see the store initiative as a desperate, last-ditch attempt to get back into the mainstream.

There must be hundreds more articles out there that were just as wide of the mark on this and other developments. Look at the coverage of the original iPod launch, I'm sure you'll see way more skepticism and naysaying than anything else. As I recall, even the most enthusiastic saw it as an interesting sideline with geek appeal, not the gadget that was going to turn Apple into a titan.

dona83
Nov 25th, 2007, 03:17 PM
At the time Gateway stores were tipping over like cows. I don't think the skepticism was aimed at Apple specifically, brand specific computer stores in general.

VNJ85
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Whose to say the stores are making enough money to cover all their rent and upkeep? for all we know they are just inching by or worse...

I personally don't think so, but i deff see people playing with things at apple stores more then buying things. then again i don't keep that close an eye.

Bottom line can't specifically say anything until we have some figures and facts.

p.s. Apple stores rock!

p.p.s. Sony has Sony stores and they do well... i'm assuming... so i think it is possible.

Malco
Nov 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Saks, whose flagship is down the street, generates sales of $362 per square foot a year. Best Buy (Charts) stores turn $930 - tops for electronics retailers - while Tiffany & Co. (Charts) takes in $2,666. Audrey Hepburn liked Tiffany's for breakfast. But at $4,032, Apple is eating everyone's lunch.

Why Apple is the best retailer in America - March 19, 2007 (http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/03/19/8402321/)

MacDoc
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Whose to say the stores are making enough money to cover all their rent and upkeep? for all we know they are just inching by or worse...

Hand over fist.....the margins and sales per square feet are best in the industry by far.
Darlings of the landlords.

mc3251
Nov 26th, 2007, 10:31 AM
As the old chestnut goes, "hindsight is 20/20". Apple has mounted an amazing comeback and is finally starting to achieve market penetration and market share that reflects the innovation and excellence of their product offerings.

While we're all gooshing praise, though, let's not forget that there were many false starts and low points along the road. I am not going to start listing them, but we can sing Apple's praises without rewriting history.

Now I'm going to duck