: X3100: CAD-Capable?

Wako
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:33 AM
I was wondering if the X3100 would be able to run some CAD? My cousin is currently looking to buy a laptop, and most laptops in his price range are only offered with integrated graphic adapters. Anyone know how choppy it would run?
Thanks

CanadaRAM
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Kinda impossible to answer -- what programs? how big? compared to?
Like all things Mac, it's on a sliding scale -- there are relatively few binary go/no go requirements. I have clients doing VectorWorks successfully on Minis.

googlefish
Nov 24th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I was wondering if the X3100 would be able to run some CAD? My cousin is currently looking to buy a laptop, and most laptops in his price range are only offered with integrated graphic adapters. Anyone know how choppy it would run?
Thanks

Follow up - does anyone have experience running Apple Aperture on the new MacBooks (X3100)?

Wako
Nov 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Can't believe I didn't specify! Guess it was late:

He would be running on Windows XP (Boot Camp), and using AutoCad and Catia v5. I don't know how big, however. The comparison is futile, he is using another craploaded WinBox which is running slow as hell, but if he's going to spend for a new computer, it better run it!

dannyrabbittang
Nov 24th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Can't believe I didn't specify! Guess it was late:

He would be running on Windows XP (Boot Camp), and using AutoCad and Catia v5. I don't know how big, however. The comparison is futile, he is using another craploaded WinBox which is running slow as hell, but if he's going to spend for a new computer, it better run it!

AutoCAD shouldn't be a problem, seeing as the X3100 is better than the GMA 950. Last year I ran the trial version of AutoCAD to get some of my assignments done and had no problem doing so, even under Parallels it ran smoothly. I've seen people run some pretty graphics intensive CAD type apps on their macbook's without any problems, except for the fact that the fan was running at max the entire time, everything was fine.

Wako
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:36 PM
AutoCAD shouldn't be a problem, seeing as the X3100 is better than the GMA 950. Last year I ran the trial version of AutoCAD to get some of my assignments done and had no problem doing so, even under Parallels it ran smoothly. I've seen people run some pretty graphics intensive CAD type apps on their macbook's without any problems, except for the fact that the fan was running at max the entire time, everything was fine.

Even on the GMA 950 with 64MB? Even under Parallels? 2GB Ram I assume?

Thanks for the info!

dannyrabbittang
Nov 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Even on the GMA 950 with 64MB? Even under Parallels? 2GB Ram I assume?

Thanks for the info!

Yup, even on the GMA 950... under Parallels, for part of the time I only had 1GB of RAM, but half way into the semester, I upgraded to 2GB. It wasn't exactly fast when I was on 1GB, but after the upgrade it was pretty smooth.