: ibook or powewrbook...what's the dif?

spotted dogs
May 31st, 2004, 06:51 PM
I am looking for a laptop primarly for digital pics video and general home use etc....what's the difference with ibooks and powerbooks? What would be your suggestions?
thanks

oryxbiker
May 31st, 2004, 07:38 PM
The powerbooks have 512kb cache and the ibooks only get a 256kb cache. The powerbooks also have bigger screens. But i find the aluminum case scratches easy.

NBiBooker
May 31st, 2004, 08:07 PM
Actually the new iBooks (April 2004) now have 512k cache as well.

iBooks come in two screen sizes (12" and 14") and two speeds 1 Ghz or 1.2 Ghz. They have a max ram of 1.25 gig. The polycarbonate casing is better at taking a beating than the powerbooks aluminium casing.

The Powerbooks have three screen sizes (12", 15", and 17") faster processors, more space for ram, firewire 800, and backlit keyboards.

For what you described I would go with a 14" iBook. I use mine for photo editing with Photoshop 7, layout with Adobe InDesign (I run a student newspaper in NB), and putting together video documentaries for class.

Just a thought.

capitalK
May 31st, 2004, 08:16 PM
Well with a handle like "NBiBooker" of course you're going to be biased towards the iBook tongue.gif jk

With the current line-up there really isn't a wrong answer, if you want to pay more for the power and expandability of the Powerbook (not to mention screen-size of the 15" and 17") then by all means go for it.

NB is right, the iBook can probably take a little more of a beating, and is good value for the power.

Personally I just bought the new 15", mainly because I needed a machine to run Final Cut Pro and I needed the extra screen size and resolution.

Good luck.

Pamela
May 31st, 2004, 09:00 PM
ummm....nobody is mentioning one of the most important things? The VRam difference? Ibooks only support a 32MB Video Card whereas Powerbooks offer 64MB as well as recently, 128MB Video Cards

farfisa
May 31st, 2004, 09:09 PM
Also, Powerbooks can extend their desktop onto a second monitor (have different stuff on each monitor), whereas iBooks can only mirror to an external display (same stuff on each monitor). You can hack that, though, but it's cited as a major difference, by Apple anyway.
Personally, though, I think Pamela was pointing that out to call attention to her 128 MB of VRAM on her new 17"!!
graemlins/lmao.gif

Neil Yates
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:01 AM
PowerBooks also have integrated 54g AirPort Extreme, higher quality LCD screens, better video GPUs, faster RAM bandwidth, integrated Bluetooth, and 16:9 display ratios.

capitalK
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:04 AM
The high end 14" 1.2 GHz iBooks also have Airport Extreme built-in, FYI. For the price difference I think they are the better buy over the 1 GHz 14". For $300 more you get an Airport Card, .2 GHz more clock speed and 20 more GB of Hard Drive space.

NBiBooker
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:12 AM
The big question is how much are you prepared to spend?

That will determine which of the solutions offered (good, better, best, amazing).

smile.gif

da_jonesy
Jun 1st, 2004, 11:23 AM
The difference is about... S.F.A. (sweet f*** all)

I've said it once I'll say it again... Apple is insane to have two product lines that close in functionality.

BTW... If you need a Superdrive go for the Powerbook, otherwise there is no reason not to go with an iBook

Lawrence
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:23 AM
I've been trying to decide on which one to get as well.

The new 14" G4 iBook has one ram slot.
The new 15" G4 PowerBook has two ram slots.

I've been spending a lot of time lately at www.everymac.com (http://www.everymac.com)

Dave :cool:

MasterBlaster
Jun 3rd, 2004, 10:46 AM

Jordan
Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:16 AM
I'm going for the iBook 14" 1.2 Ghz.
For the price of a well equipped iBook [max ram, superdrive, bluetooth, upped HD, extra battery and power supply etc] for the same price as a Powerbook 15" with only the ram at 1GB.
I don't need the extra vram since I only do some digital pics and iMovie stuff, not much.