: Are Mac users stupid when it comes to updates in SU?

monokitty
May 31st, 2004, 05:47 PM
Wow, reading some of the responses at the Mac Rumor forums leads me to believe that some of us really are stupid on the Mac OS X 10.3.4 update. There were many comments saying things along the lines of:

"I haven't noticed any change from 10.3.3; 40 MB for this? What a worthless update."

Are some of us so stupid, as to not know that many, if not most of the changes are NOT user-visible but work on the backbone of Mac OS X? People download these updates expecting to see amazing results. I sit here and say "wtf?" tongue.gif Seriously!

And then there's the peeps who don't play games and then say "I can't see any changes in OpenGL" - uh, since when did Safari use OpenGL? Of course you aren't going to see changes unless you do 3D gaming on a supported video card. tongue.gif

Please tell me I'm not the only one who knows that most updates aren't supposed to have user-visible results in all the updates they bring.

RicktheChemist
May 31st, 2004, 07:18 PM

MannyP Design
May 31st, 2004, 07:30 PM
I'd wager there's a good possibility some of them may be trolls just looking to start a little fire. I mean, the info Apple provides on the update is pretty straight forward; but then again, there's no [telling] how low some people's "computer IQ" can go.

The best watermark to see how well as update works is to check out Apple's support forum and/or a Mac OS X forum. For some reason trolls just love to visit the MacCentral forums. :confused:

EDIT: Fixed spelling and missing word. :eek:

[ May 31, 2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: MannyP Design ]

Pelao
May 31st, 2004, 10:21 PM
I agree Lars, some of the comments are scary. To be fair, a lot of people don't follow all Apple news, so perhaps they expect more from an update.

My money is on Manny P's idea: trolls. Mean, ugly and brutish trolls, the sort that give poor Shrek such a bad name...

Macaholic
Jun 1st, 2004, 12:32 AM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who knows that most updates aren't supposed to have user-visible results in all the updates they bring.
You're not. But there are those who do seem to miss the fact that, for upgrades with some VISUAL or superficially functional distinction, YA GOTTA PAY FOR THOSE! :D

used to be jwoodget
Jun 1st, 2004, 08:24 PM
I find that after every update my powerbook gets perceptively faster. I have pinned this down to a a small region in my brain that controls expectations which sits next to another small area that measures expectations. Since the updates typically require a restart, there is a gap of a few minutes between using the old version and the brand-spanking new version. These few minutes are more than enough to flush the registers in my expectation database and when the machine restarts the area is repopulated with new data. It's like a defrag of my brain.

Er.... what was the question again?