: Best Browser for OS 8.1

Gunner
May 31st, 2004, 04:04 PM
I have a friend who is running OS 8. I think I will get him to upgrade to 8.1. Is there a better browser than IE or Netscape? These seem so slow. Could be I'm just accustomed to Safari on high speed and he is on dial-up.

capitalK
May 31st, 2004, 04:19 PM
Well I definately recommend the upgrade to 8.1 for people using the internet, however I don't know of any other browsers that you could use that would be better.

I guess you could use CyberDog if you can find it (Apple's original web browser, years before Safari).

capitalK
May 31st, 2004, 04:20 PM
That was a joke, btw. I don't recommend CyberDog.

iMatvei
May 31st, 2004, 04:42 PM
iCab is great for 8.1 machines.

Rob
May 31st, 2004, 05:40 PM
I'll second iCab. Browser speed will always be faster with a high speed connection compared to dial-up. You can't really compare browsers using different connection speeds.

You can run iCab on a pre Power Mac machines if they have a 68040 chip such as a Quadra 650, LC475 and others. These machines can also run OS8.1

iCab is the only browser that has current updates for pre Power Mac computers, or Power Macs running OS8. It's not perfect, but it is small in size and has modern features such as tabbed browsing.

Macaholic
May 31st, 2004, 06:08 PM
iCab is the fastest and has some very "modern" features. It does have regular problems with page rendering, however. I'd give iCab a spin, but keep IE in your back-pocket.

Gunner
May 31st, 2004, 07:59 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I will upgrade him this weekend and give iCab a try.

Gunner :cool: