: Mirror, mirror

kloan
May 31st, 2004, 02:05 AM
are they made out of metal? if so, you could do what some iPod owners are doing, and sand it with a scrub sponge.. give it a brushed metal look..

gwillikers
May 31st, 2004, 02:38 AM
Put it under your desk, and enjoy a quieter computer room as a bonus.

Although, when it's under your desk, you may get frequent urges to buy new socks. graemlins/lmao.gif

-Howie

Johnny
May 31st, 2004, 02:39 AM
I suggest you don't deface that mirror. These Macs will be desirable collectors' items in the years ahead and modifications deflate the value. How about taping a photograph of a favourite person over the offensive mirror.

By the way, those close-up coin pictures on your site are very well done.

Johnny.

iGeeK
May 31st, 2004, 06:33 AM
I suggest you don't deface that mirror. These Macs will be desirable collectors' items in the years ahead and modifications deflate the value.You mean all these guys who put in a CPU water-cooling system in their Macs have completely deflated the future value of their machines? Oy vey! :D

Nevermind all these ATX case mods, then!

OK, anyone who'd put a water pipe into their Mac just has to be slightly crazy... :D

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/watercooled_MDD_G4/watercooled_mdd_g4.html

I couldn't live with the possibility of an H2O leak.

G/<

P.S.> Thanks for the compliment on the photos, although I can't take credit for all of them. Some are scans, some photographed with a Nikon CoolPix.

iGeeK
May 31st, 2004, 06:49 AM
Put it under your desk, and enjoy a quieter computer room as a bonus. Not quite viable in my situation. Besides, the DVD burner is then not as accessible. I also quite often muck around with the guts and the connectors. Having to pull it from under the desk every time would be annoying.

I think I'm going to cut out matching pieces for the whole mirror from some opaque plastic and go for non-damaging adhesion.

Then again, I just might stick the whole kit and kaboodle in a rack cabinet, or something.

G/<

TroutMaskReplica
May 31st, 2004, 08:46 AM
angle the case a few degrees away from your face. you won't be able to see yourself. it's like magic.

iGeeK
May 31st, 2004, 11:05 AM
Smoke and mirrors, eh?

Humf! I'd have to angle it a little more than a few degrees. Don't think that I'm a total twit (partial twit certainly, I admit to that) and haven't tried that myself.
Then again, you can think anything you want. This is still a free country. Or so I'm told. :D :D

I'm looking for a solution which encompasess more than just not seeing my mug when I want to insert a CD/DVD into the SuperDrive.

Plastic... Router... Glue...

Either that or becoming a vampire. graemlins/nuts.gif

G/<

TroutMaskReplica
May 31st, 2004, 12:00 PM
i have the same machine. angle it away from you. and yes, i find the mirror irritating as well and this was my solution.

you could try placing a paper bag over your head. tongue.gif

iGeeK
May 31st, 2004, 12:25 PM
you could try placing a paper bag over your head.
Great idea!

Uh... Hey, what's this... "Placing bag over head can lead to suffocation. Keep away from children and adults who don't know any better"

Hmmm... I'm starting to suspect that you mean me harm TroutMask... That "solution" seems a bit radical, even though in a sense it WOULD end ALL of my problems.

graemlins/nuts.gif :D

OK, at least you admit that the mirror is irritating. Good.

I have to admit to a general dislike of mirrors, I suppose. Don't like seeing them other than in closets, boudoirs and bathrooms. Must be some childhood thing which I have since supressed. tongue.gif

G/<

TroutMaskReplica
May 31st, 2004, 01:15 PM
if you use a paper and not plastic bag you should still be able to breath. trust me, i do this all the time when i don't want to see my reflection in the g4.

if you give me your head size i will generate a template so you know where to put the eye and nose holes.

iGeeK
May 31st, 2004, 01:59 PM
OK, I gotta ask. Any other MDD owners who are bothered by the mirror on the front of their computers?

I admit that it was cool for the first couple weeks out of the box, but now it's annoying me. I recently switched where it sits on my desk, and I'm not so pretty or narcissistic that I want to look at my mug all the time.

see my profile pic (https://www.ehmac.ca/cgi_bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00001135)

I'm considering sandblasting the doors, or at least painting them something non-reflective. Other than reflecting, they are also such fingerprint magnets, and sometimes tough to clean.

Another thing. I want my (expletive self-supressed) power button back on my (ess) keyboard!

Apple Extended Keyboard had it, and it was a great utilitarian thing. I'm almost considering doing something as silly as getting an ADB adapter for my G4 so I can go back to using the AEK. Which is a keyboard I really liked. I make too many typos with the Pro Keyboard. Which is too delicate for my ham-fisted approach to typing. tongue.gif

Not that returning to using the AEK would solve my need for a keyboard powerbutton, because the G4 PowerManager will likely not want to talk to obsolete equipment.

Huff puff, huff puff...

G/<

iGeeK
May 31st, 2004, 02:08 PM
Oh, right... Holes! Doh! What a novel concept!

Nah, don't bother with the template. I just bought this new router, and I think it will cut great holes in a paper bag after I press my face in it! graemlins/nuts.gif

Actually, this is all really about trying to find as many uses for my router as I can think of! ;D

Head size: According to my friends too big, and swollen. If not for my gut, I'd be top heavy.

OK, this is straying from the mirrors subject! Sort of.

G/<

iStan
May 31st, 2004, 03:33 PM
I have my MDD tower over to the far right on my desk and never notice the doors.

re: the power button, control-option-command-eject will shutdown without the nag screen.

iGeeK
May 31st, 2004, 03:41 PM
re: the power button, control-option-command-eject will shutdown without the nag screen. But it's not the shutdown I want it for, it's for power up.

I don't think there's a command-option-coke-bottle command that does that. :D

A lot of the PC keyboards have a power button, and I miss it from the older keyboard. Although it seems that the Apple USB PowerManager has some issues anyway, so it could have been a moot point.

In any case, I should likely migrate to a more robust, sturdier (dare I say non-transparent?) USB keyboard. Power button or not.

G/<

CubaMark
May 31st, 2004, 03:46 PM
Seek out a vampire... that will solve your problem!

:D

M

iGeeK
May 31st, 2004, 03:58 PM
CubaMark hefted a wooden stake and said: Seek out a vampire... that will solve your problem!
I covered that option, earlier on. However, now that Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel are over and done with, vampires have become darn difficult to find.

I checked a few Goth bars, but they were just full of posers. :eek: I meant vampire posers of course. No Goths were hurt during the research process. :D

Where's Vlad when he's needed?

G/<

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make. " - Bela Lugosi, Dracula, 1931

Troutmagnet
May 31st, 2004, 08:51 PM
How about trading it in for a G5??

MacDoc? I know you're listening....

You could always find someone who has the plastic scratch guards still on their MDD (like me) and paint them instead of the actual mirrored door?

iGeeK
May 31st, 2004, 10:11 PM
How about trading it in for a G5?? Don't think that I didn't think about it. :D

Lovely idea, if I had any money, that is.

Unless someone will take my G4, give me a G5, and receive a bottle of Lagavulin for their magnanimity. Any takers?

Didn't think so. tongue.gif

G/<

iStan
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:55 PM
If, for some strange reason, nobody takes you up on your generous offer, peelable nail polish might provide an artistic solution to the MDD dilemma.