: Should I buy a HD from Apple?

motoyen
May 30th, 2004, 11:48 PM
I am thinking about getting a 12" G4 iBook from the Apple store. I want the 60GB HD as well as upgraded RAM. Should I BTO these from Apple or order the base model and upgrade the items myself? Is it possible to do the HD upgrade myself?

monokitty
May 30th, 2004, 11:59 PM
BTO the hard drive (pain in the butt to install yourself - and not overly easily, but do-able), but buy the RAM yourself. Apple charges a leg and an arm for RAM, where as you could buy it cheaper (usually) and installing it yourself is a no-brainer procedure.

capitalK
May 31st, 2004, 12:23 AM
If you wanted to spend the extra money you could buy a 7200 RPM 2.5" Hard Drive to install yourself. That's the first thing I'm going to upgrade on my 15" when I have the money.

The 12" is pretty easy to upgrade compared to like the old 12" iBooks, but I do recommend having some experience or paying someone to do it.

FYI unlike buying 3rd-party RAM, there is a grey-area to buying and installing 3rd-party Hard Drives as far as warranty is concerned. If you go that route I recommend keeping the original drive (maybe putting it in a FireWire case) just in case (no pun intended).

motoyen
May 31st, 2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the tips. Any suggestions on the cheapest place to get RAM in Canada?