: NAPSTER.CA - The enemy has arrived first

deep
May 26th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Not to beat a dead horse - but where is my iTunes Music Store for Canada ?

1.19 a song - and a host of other functions only for Windows users :mad:

gundamguy
May 26th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I doubt Napster will make a big dent in the Canadian online music store, Canada is still way too pro pirate music for most pc users to bother with. However mac users seem to be more willing to pay. Look at how poorly pure tracks has done.

TroutMaskReplica
May 26th, 2004, 05:51 PM
i predict no canadian iTunes music store this year. :(

i think the legal situation has to be resolved here before apple will move on this. industry reps have been saying for a while now that everything has been taken care of from their end. it's up to apple.

iChard
May 27th, 2004, 01:24 PM
It's not up to apple. apple have thrown up their arms and walked away until canadian publishers and labels can resolve their problems. Like I said in another post, it's the publishers of canada being super greedy. write a letter to the publishers and complain!!! ;)

You'd be surprised at how well puretracks and wal mart are doing in online sales . . . the format war is getting pretty interesting with legal music sites now numbering over a hundred. The iPod may have 55% of the market for music players - but they have definately saturated less than that as far as the store goes. Apple and AAC have two things going for them right now - the best music player and the best store on the market!

rhythms
May 27th, 2004, 02:28 PM
does somebody know the exact issue that is preventing Apple from offering the store in Canada?

It doesn't make sense to me that puretracks.ca and napster.ca can operate here, and Apple can't. What is so different about the model that Apple has that would block them from Canada?

Is it that the record companies want too much money? Apple's not willing to pay, but napster and puretracks are?

sigh.

Well, there is a way to access the store in Canada... just get a friend in the states to open an account and then use it up here... it works like a charm. You just have to remember to pay your friend when his credit card bill comes!!! smile.gif

iChard
May 27th, 2004, 02:47 PM
apple is going by the book for licensing their tracks. puretracks and napster aren't. they shouldn't be doing things the way they are, but they made a different sort of deal with the labels than apple did. it's actually kind of confusing, but the problem ultimately lies with publishers wanting TOO MUCH!

here's an article about Tarriff 22 that should help :

CNM Article (http://homepage.mac.com/ichard/articles/cnm/CNM-05-14-a.pdf)