: upgrading to an ibook or emac, what to do???

sandman
May 25th, 2004, 04:12 PM
So,

Presently have a 350 Yikes G4 tower, added RAM, CD burner, ZIP drive (way before the burner), and a 19" monitor which takes up half of my desk. I do web and print design, minor photoshop work (not a designer by trade, but have some training). Think its time for an upgrade, but not sure what to upgrade to. I like the idea of an ibook or first gen Tibook, because of the portability factor, and the emac for the best bang for your buck factor. Wife has a PC laptop (she had no choice), so the idea of us being on laptops with wireless networking at home, sounds pretty cool. On the other hand, I love the emac I am using at work. I guess it comes down to whether I should go portable or not. Never had a laptop, so I don't know how important that is!

Some help please!

RC51Pilot
May 25th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I'm a web developer and have similar purpose for the machine. I bought an iBook for the portability factor. Sometimes it's nice to sit on the couch or in the back yard and do my work. For those times when I want the desktop, I bought an Apple optical mouse, Apple keyboard and an iCurve to sit the iBook on and it works great.

I can't make the decision for you, but the portability does come at a cost, since the eMac is somewhat cheaper.

Here's my rig:
http://members.rogers.com/rc51pilot/images/my_ibook.jpg

Jordan
May 25th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I was going through the same dilemma, I have a PB 500 Pismo with an external monitor, almost the same set up as RC51Pilot. My Pismo has enough umph to do most the things I do, but desperately need something to make things run smoother.
I'm going to get the 14" iBook loaded.
If you do the same stuff at work that you do at home, the portability of the iBook would be great if you want to connect to your work computer or on the road.
I love my PB, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't do my stuff wherever I have gone.

I'm in the process of moving to another town, after spending a couple weeks at a time renovating the house before we move in, the local Coffee shop with free wireless access was great. Can't do that on an eMac. [or I guess you could, if they don't mind a computer being brought in]

Pelao
May 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM
I too have the iCurve, exteral keyboard etc for my PB. I agree, it's a great setup. You can add an external HD or whatever should you need more space.

Perhaps the only issue might be the screen size, and only you can really judge this. I had the 14" iBook (G3) and it was fine for me.

We have an eMac at home. Wonderful computer, used by my wife for her business and for the (kids 15 & 5).

So while I am very happy with the eMac, there was no need at all for portability. For me, I think my next buy will again be a notebook. I like options!