: Hard Drive is Ticking....

emceepj
May 23rd, 2004, 12:08 AM
A few days before my new iBook arrives...

My hard drive is making an audible tick tick tick tick tick sound as soon as i power up my computer. This is not the normal accessing drive sound... and, if the 'book starts up, as soon as i start to do something, it'll start ticking again and the spinning ball apppears and i can't do anything! i ran hardware test and it said everything is fine.

what is wrong? i'm going to remove the ram i added about two years ago to see if that's the problem... i don't know what else to do.. help!

Thanks, Phil

emceepj
May 23rd, 2004, 02:43 AM
I WANT A SECOND OPINION!!!!!

NOOOOO! failing?! what? how much is that to replace without applecare? could it be anything else??

AHHH!

emceepj
May 23rd, 2004, 03:18 AM
i've been poking around on the apple discussions board and people who are having disk probs are using techtool or diskwarrior or something... would this help?

i'm starting to freak out. all my design work is on my comp (hasn't been backed up in a month, not too bad) along with about 1200 photos (half of which haven't been backed up). not too mention MY LIFE!

i'm feeling short of breath...

p.

Moscool
May 23rd, 2004, 06:19 AM
So you'd better run out and get yourself a portable FW drive or a Zip + disks or a fixed FW drive. In any case it will be useful for (pre)archiving. No point staring at the headlights...

monokitty
May 23rd, 2004, 10:27 AM
and people who are having disk probs are using techtool or diskwarrior or something... would this help?Unlikely - these utilties are mostly designed to repair software-based issues, not major hardware issues, such as a dying hard drive.

jlcinc
May 23rd, 2004, 10:57 AM
tick, tick, tick, like a time bomb you don't need a second opinion. Mine lasted about a week before it died but it can happen at anytime.

John

hmto
May 23rd, 2004, 12:04 PM
Hard drives are realtively inexpensive these days and installation is a snap. But it does sound like imminent failure. BACKUP today and don't delay.
Good luck

monokitty
May 23rd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Installation is a snap in a desktop, that is, but we're talking a iBook here - and most people let a Apple Authorized Service Provider do that.

monokitty
May 23rd, 2004, 01:38 PM
Your hard drive is failing - the Apple Hardware Test, like many other component-testing utilties out there, seriously suck at detecting hardware malfunctions. The reason it showed up fine is probably because it hasn't failed yet, and still works, even though its in the earlier stages of failure.

It's not the RAM or any other component - your hard drive is going to fail, so back-up now and prepare to replace.

emceepj
May 23rd, 2004, 02:03 PM
sigh

ok, but the problem with the backing up is that once the ticking starts, i can't do anything... it there a way where i can hook up my iBook via firewire to a friends powerbook and get my files transferred to his via the finder?

p.

Lawrence
May 23rd, 2004, 02:18 PM
An iBook hard drive is a real bitch to replace yourself,
Whereas the PowerBooks are a lot easier.

I guess that's another reason why the PowerBooks cost
more, The ease of replacing parts without using a
shoehorn, I replaced my Lombard drive in under a half hour.

In anycase...I'd get a dealer to replace the drive,
Doing it yourself can be very traumatic.

Until the modular computer comes along...
I guess we're stuck with having to get help to replace parts
or upgrade our computers.

Dave :cool:

Ohenri
May 23rd, 2004, 03:05 PM
Whereas the PowerBooks are a lot easier. Were alot easier. The new iBook/Pbook form factors are not CIP (consumer installable parts) friendly @ all. Not sure what the problem was, but the last the CIP user friendly books was the TiBook. After that... :rolleyes:

You should be able to get that data transfered over - as long as your buddy has the room to permit. Just get tall the files you NEED to b/u and send them over via FW Target Disk.

Most spots will charge you 1-1.5 hours for a HD install on iBook. HDs are pretty affordable. You do music - so you should look into some of the 5400s out there. I just dropped an 80G 5400 in mine... You should look @ a 60G 5400 or even the 40G 7200. That would be nice!

These are quotes that i got from a local retailer for Travelstars (my faves)

E7K60 - 40GB 7200RPM - $249.00
7K60 - 60GB 7200RPM - $349.00
5K80 - 60GB 5400RPM - $259.00
5K80 - 80GB 5400RPM - $349.00

And $100 (just about) for install.

Look around... you're bound to find something.

This (http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=9362&vpn=07N9482&manufacture=Hitachi) is what I also found. Good deal.

H!

jlcinc
May 23rd, 2004, 08:42 PM
it there a way where i can hook up my iBook via firewire to a friends powerbook and get my files transferred to his via the finder Yes of course you can. Your computer should be off. Start up your friends with the firewire attached to your ibook. Then start yours up and I think you have to hold the "t" key down during startup. Your computer should show up as a hard drive on his computer. I hope someone else jumps in here to make sure it is the "t" key you hold down during startup. Search google.

Good luck,

John

kent
May 25th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Did you install any software recently? I installed software to run my HP scanner on my new PB last fall and it sounded VERY similar to previous HDD failures I'd had. Same thing: tick, tick, tick...turned out it was software. That said, back up your HDD bay-bee and then investigate.

mboy
May 25th, 2004, 05:39 PM
ok. I installed new Microsoft office 2004 test drive and my drive suddenly went tick tick tick - it bugged me a lot so next day I trashed it and the problem seems to disappeared hmmm....
mboy