: Which is more durable? 12"ibook or 12"PB

motoyen
May 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM
I am going to be doing some traveling soon and I am trying to decide if I should buy the 12" iBook or 12" PowerBook. I am going to be traveling on a backpackers budget for over a year so which ever laptop I get will have to take a beating. Is the metal casing of the PB stronger than the plastic iBook?

howing
May 22nd, 2004, 04:40 PM
if you don't mind scratches, scuffs, or dents.. powerbook is good.
if you do mind any of the above, the iBook is better.

NBiBooker
May 22nd, 2004, 05:51 PM
iBook was designed for students and "moderate" abuse. PBooks are designed for Professionals who either take the time to baby the equipment, or aren't particullary worried about replacement costs.

So if your into heavy travelling by just want a good machine, get and iBook. If you want a superfast machine, get a Powebook.

That's my take.

RISK
May 22nd, 2004, 06:39 PM
Go Ibook. My powerbook has been incredibly durable (including surviving a 5-foot fall onto a cement slab with no case, big dents (fixed) but no functional damage!), but the Ibook has way better battery life, is lighter and will definitley handle more abuse (plastic mo better). I really have to work to keep my Powerbook scratch and ding free (screen protector, slip case, padded travel case). My friends who travel with Ibooks beat hell out of them with no issues.

Bring a spare OSX disc, back your files up often (I have a small firewire drive enclosure with an old 60g notebook drive in it that I use for backup and image/video stuff on the road). Make sure your insurance covers you no matter where and what you are doing, I've had two machines stolen over the years. A USB card reader is cheap and useful if you have a digital camera, saves camera battery power and is much faster... Bring a selection of cheap plugs for the end of your power cord, that's all you need to deal with various outlets and so on. Radio shack has 'em cheap, I always forget them in hotels so I bring a few extra (Western Europe generally uses a standard twin"round pin" plug).

good luck!