: Copying from old iBook to new..

emceepj
May 16th, 2004, 08:49 PM
So, when i get my new iBook, i want to copy all of the old computers contents/settings/prefs/programs to the new one. is there anyway to do this without any change?

Phil

JohnnyG4
May 16th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Carbon Copy Cloner lets you copy an entire image from one drive to another. Get the latest from VersionTracker. Read the readme, but the long and short of it is:

Attach the computers with a firewire cable;
put the new computer into target disk mode (hold down t key while booting)
Fire up Carbon Copy Cloner and copy away!

John

Ohenri
May 16th, 2004, 10:39 PM
That is pretty hot. I was just going to inquire about it.

How long is that process??

H!

(( p g ))
May 16th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Get a firewire cable and put one Mac in target mode. You can copy 10 gigs in under 10 minutes flat.

Ohenri
May 17th, 2004, 02:04 AM
So, this will mirror original HD - OS and all?? As well as apps?? Just came from the site and they make mention of it though would like to see more details, as I'm a total candidate for this...

H!

Chealion
May 17th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Ohenri - Carbon Copy Cloner does a bit for bit clone of whatever folder/disk you decide to clone. It's not super fast, but it works very well.

For the UNIX savvy, CCC uses the ditto command to do it's copying.

Ohenri
May 18th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Thanks.

I have just done a fair bit of reading of the CCC help files and I had a few Q?s:

Regarding cloning from an older system to a new one (hardware) - this is all taken from the CCC site.

Certain applications generate preferences files that are specific to that computer. Those preferences are stored in ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost. Items in this folder typically have part of the hardware address of the computer it was created on in the name. If you use that application while booted from another computer, those prefs will be ignored. The desktop picture, Classic, and the screen saver prefs are "Classic" examples. These apps have prefs that depend on hardware specific settings, such as resolution, so it is important to not use these files (sometimes) on other hardware.

If you are cloning an older computer's system to a newer computer, there is a potential that the older system does not contain system items (kernel extensions, for example) that the newer hardware requires.

So how does one deal with these issues?

Try synchronizing the old system to the new system.
synchronizing?? What did I miss??

as well....

Typically I recommend that if the newer hardware came with a more recent version of the OS than what is available for your older machine, it may not be a good idea. For example, rumor has it that the new AlBooks have 10.2.4 on them. It would be a bad idea to clone your PowerBook G3's system onto it, even if you just upgraded to 10.2.4 the day before. Typically the mini-updates do not include all the latest hardware drivers. If 10.3 comes out a month later, though, you could probably upgrade your PBG3 to 10.3, then clone to the new AlBook just fine. I'm running X.2.8 on Source (pismo) and X.2.7 on target (12"PB) drive. Should I be fine??

As well, after booting the CCC on source unit, noticed that after picking the HD on my PISMO, listed a bunch of files that I have no knowledge/understanding of for cloning (could not copy/paste to show). I'm simply assuming that I grab everything that is listed there for cloning, no??

H!

[ May 18, 2004, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: Ohenri ]

MaxPower
May 18th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Why don't you just copy your user folder?

This will transfer all of your user data - pref's bookmarks etc. you can also do it for all other accounts that are set up as well.

Ohenri
May 18th, 2004, 10:46 AM
:rolleyes:

all is on hold right now. destination lap has some type of ADD. (https://www.ehmac.ca/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004262;p=1#0000 00). Cannot get it to cooperate right now. CCC looks like a safe move - I just like to have done some good reading before proceeding with some transplant surgery. ;)

H!

Digital_Gary
May 18th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Why don't you just copy your user folder?

This will transfer all of your user data - pref's bookmarks etc. you can also do it for all other accounts that are set up as well.
Just make sure your User folder is clean. If you move it over, any problems you may have had will be coming as well. I have actually had more problems arise after a User folder is copied. Also make sure all user and password info is setup identical or you may run into permission problems.