: Simplest Garage Band set-up

Ohenri
May 12th, 2004, 04:29 PM
One of my best friends called me to say that he wants to get a Mac after he read about GB. Just wants something strong enough to get that working, for the littlest cost.

I was thinking of a G4 tower (1st gen) with a 7200 HD.

What is the feedback on GB operation?? spex wise?? I just don't want his system to stutter too much... Will he be fine with a hot HD and lots of RAM??

H!

Mississauga
May 12th, 2004, 04:38 PM
All reports I've read, and judging by my own experiences, GarageBand likes LOTS of horsepower! The more tracks one adds, the more system resources required to keep it happy. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 800MHz of processor power if the intention is to create songs with more than 6 or 8 tracks (which is pretty easy to tally up).

capitalK
May 12th, 2004, 04:48 PM
From Apple's iLife Page:

600MHz G3 or faster required for GarageBand
G4 or faster required for GarageBand software instruments

Personally I'd recommend an eMac. They start at $1049 for a 1.25 GHz G4, 256 MB RAM with Combo Drive.

A first generation G4 would come with a DVD-ROM only, which kind of sucks.

adagio
May 12th, 2004, 04:52 PM
I say go for an eMac as well. I had a G4/400 with a gig of RAM. It could barely run GB with multiple tracks.

insertclevername
May 12th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I also think that the new eMac is the way to go.

For GB he would ideally need a minimum of a 533 dual/733 single processor.

They would probably be just a bit cheaper, if not more expensive than a brand new eMac, which comes with warranty, and on top of that is quite a bit faster.

Ohenri
May 13th, 2004, 12:38 AM
For all of those that I rec'd the eMac - I mentioned the same as well, as I did recall reading some posts somewhere about GB being pretty selfish with the cpu power. My boy wanted to see if there was something a touch less expensive. I will keep my eyes peeled, but I do like the eMac a ton.

Thanks.

H!