: Which bank's online banking system works on Mac?

pollux
May 10th, 2004, 01:27 PM
After the nasty virus thing making lots of my relative's PC die they are thinking about to get a Mac to avoid the virus attack.

I do know they do web banking quite a lot and everyone of them uses different bank. Some use TD, some use RBC, some use CIBC, some use Bank of Montreal, some use Scotia Bank

I am curious which bank's online banking system works on Mac? I know TD works for sure since my brother has a Mac too and he does web banking.

However, I really don't know the rest :(

I need to know the answer before my relatives ask me because I don't want them to get pissed off when they buy a Mac and find out web banking does work.

Thanks a bunch

SINC
May 10th, 2004, 01:31 PM
I use Safari to access my CIBC accounts with no trouble at all.

Cheers

smile.gif

interact
May 10th, 2004, 01:32 PM
My partner and I have several accounts that all have worked out great ....

BMO
TD Canada Trust
Citizen's Bank of Canada (VanCity Savings online)
President's Choice

monokitty
May 10th, 2004, 01:42 PM
All online banking-systems work with the Mac; there's no such thing as a PC-only banking system. It's the type of browser that may not work with their system. In that case, just launch IE (Internet Explorer - pre-installed on all Macs) and bingo, you're good to go.

Macaholic
May 10th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Bank of Montreal works fine for me, as does accessing my Citibank Mastercard account.

MasterBlaster
May 10th, 2004, 02:06 PM

da_jonesy
May 10th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Lars is correct on this one...

I work for a company that develops front end banking systems and everyone develops to an IE 5.0 interface. If Safari isn't working then try IE and it will work.

Loafer
May 10th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Royal Bank - Chequeing account, pay all bills, e-mail money transfers, Visa...no problems at all.

ING Direct - Savings account, my fav website for banks, clean and simple and good interest rates. Can transfer to Royal Bank accounts when needed and visa versa.

HSBC - My accounts in England, works great, no problems, although their security is a bit tighter than the other 2 making it more timely to access.

CubaMark
May 10th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Scotiabank's online backing service works just dandy with Safari (it took a few months, but they finally came around).

;)
M

Digital_Gary
May 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM
If all else fails, using Omniweb authenticating as a PC version of IE works. I have a few suppliers that I can't log into with any Mac browser. Using Omniweb is my only option.

RC51Pilot
May 10th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Since I work for TD as a web developer, I can tell you that we have no issues with Netscape 4.x, IE 5.x and IE6. Although we don't support it, Safari is Mozilla based, it will also work along with Mozilla itself, however in the unlikely event that javascript acts funny, yeah, use IE. We even support OS/2. :eek:

Any browser will handle the websites, it's the content that can be flakey. Some browsers handle things differently, like frames, javascript etc.

davidslegend
May 10th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Hi,

You guys are forgetting about Quicken. A major banking application that comes with your mac. Well, my banking institution CS-COOP said online that they supported it but, when I went to use it they said that the Macintosh enviroment wasn`t suppported! :mad:

I still feel like suing them for thier blatent disrespect for us-the minority. I made a major purchase and they didn`t have the curtiousy of spelling out their lack of support on one of their websites. Grrrrrrrr!

Therefore, does your bank support Quicken!

Cheers,

davidslegend

PosterBoy
May 10th, 2004, 05:00 PM
Safari is Mozilla based

Safari is based around the KHTML rendering engine from KDE 3.0.2 (http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/webcore/), not Mozilla's gecko engine.

Kazak
May 11th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Since you're in Vancouver, pollux, I'll add that the VanCity site works smoothly in Safari.

Carex
May 11th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Ditto for Scotiabank on Safari.

cubamark, I remember when Safari first came out, a message would come up at the Scotiabank site saying "your browser is not supported" or some such nonsense. Strangely enough if you clicked through the message, it would let you in anyway. So I've never been shutout because of Safari.
After safari became 'compatible', the Scotia site starting posting a warning about browser security and it was aimed directly at IE I believe.

Sonal
May 11th, 2004, 11:48 AM
I use BMO, TD, CIBC and ING Direct -- all work fine through Safari. BMO, strangely, doesn't work well through IE (as I recall, anyway), but it's probably because their new web design specifically limits IE access to 5.5+ -- my brother-in-law actually had to replace his Win95 box since IE 5.5 wouldn't install on Win95, and no newer OS would install on his hardware.

I've had two small issues, however:

I once had some trouble with CIBC for 3-4 days. Every other banking site I dealt with worked fine from the Mac. It worked fine through our Windows machine, but I couldn't even reach the login screen via Mac. I had CIBC's tech people on the phone trying to replicate the problem on a Mac without sucess, and the ehMac'ers I asked weren't having problems. As it turns out, it appears to have been due to network repairs that my DSL provider was doing -- problems disappeared as soon as they repairs were done.

With TD, when I try to bring up my online quarterly statements (PDF format), Preview crashes. The rest of the TD online banking is flawless, and Preview doesn't crash any other time, so my guess is that there's something odd in the PDF generation that Preview can't handle. Works fine on Windows. I have a hunch that Acrobat Reader for Mac will work better, but I haven't downloaded and tested that yet.

Hey RC51Pilot -- you seeing this? It's under eDocuments. What kind of crazy PDF'ing are TD folks tryin'? smile.gif

Still, I consider these two issues very minor: the first was temporary, and (until I try Acrobat), the second one means I login from work once every 3 months to print my statement.

Sonal
May 11th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Duplicate Post -- sorry.

rollee
May 11th, 2004, 11:54 AM
my american express online also works beautifully.

Ingenu
May 11th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Desjardins credit union works well with Safari. Only thing not working is the Web site used to order cheque (Intercheque financial service), which doesn't support Safari neither IE.

RC51Pilot
May 11th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Sonal - That is interesting with the PDF - I've not tried that myself - my wife is the bean counter in the family. I just spend it :D

I'm going to try that out and see what those EasyWeb guys are doing. I work on the stuff behind the counter ;)

Oh, and my humble apologies, I was told that Safari was based on Mozilla. I stand corrected smile.gif Nevertheless, I think it works pretty good with TD.