: I can run OS X on a PC now!

Chealion
May 10th, 2004, 12:09 PM
You can actually run OS X on a PC now. PearPC (http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/), an open source PPC emulator has been released for the x86 architecture. It's slow and buggy at 0.1, but it shows that it can be done.

There are emulators that emulate the 680x0 series made by Motorola and used in Macs before the PowerPC debuted. What makes this one different is that it emulates the PowerPC architecture, long believed impossible to do because of the way the processors worked.

Any thoughts?

Macaholic
May 10th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Well, maybe some PC guys will try to run OS X on their PC, realize how awesome it is and "switch"? Other than that, I don't see a practical use for it. As an emulator. it'll always be too slow to use those great Mac-only applications, such as Final Cut Pro. And, Mac users use VPC to access Windows-only apps, whereas there isn't a deficit of apps on the Windows platform that would compel a Windows user to run OS X apps within emulation; there's only BETTER ones ;)

TroutMaskReplica
May 10th, 2004, 12:40 PM
taken from the website:

Due to the nature of emulation, PearPC is quite slow (the client will run about 500 times slower than the host). food for thought. (pun not intentional)

fugu
May 10th, 2004, 07:54 PM
I think it's a pretty cool technical accomplishment, however, don't think it will be a viable option for people wanting to run OS X on a PC :)

Darren

Eaon
May 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Ah, bugger. And I just went and dropped all that cash on a brand new 12" PowerBook. What the heck was I thinking? Now the only thing special about it is the pretty glowing apple on the back of the display.

:D

(I'm totally kidding, in case you missed it - I love my new laptop)

IronMac
May 10th, 2004, 09:16 PM
It's a 0.1 product. Let's leap ahead a bit...what happens if it goes all the way to 10.3? Does that mean that will be able to run OS X(or whatever it will be) on Intel chips? If so, it means that Apple will lose its monopolistic hold on hardware and be unable to financially soak its customers. At that point, will Apple move away from hardware? Maybe...maybe not...only time will tell. :D

TroutMaskReplica
May 10th, 2004, 10:51 PM
you sound like a broken record, ironmac.

it's an interesting little gizmo and nothing more.

RicktheChemist
May 10th, 2004, 11:44 PM

da_jonesy
May 11th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Trout is right... It's an interesting little gizmo.

It WILL NOT affect in any way how Apple does business... if anything I imagine there will be a few practical jokes played on people in Cupertino when they come in and realize somebody has replaced their Mac with a PC as a joke.

Apple cannot seriously consider dismantling their Macintosh hardware line... Think about it... if you own 2% of the global desktop market... that a s**t load of coin in anybodies book.

monokitty
May 11th, 2004, 12:47 PM
I doubt Apple would allow it to go very far...That's what I was thinking - couldn't Apple just shut it down at their will?

Kinda like Sony shutdown Virtual Game Station.

Macaholic
May 11th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Ironmac, IT'S AN EMULATOR. HELLO??

Pamela
May 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Does anybody actually *know* what the latest figures are for apple's share of the computer world? I have a feeling it's a little more than 2% now.

RicktheChemist
May 11th, 2004, 03:52 PM

IronMac
May 12th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Of course, it's an emulator but, as so many open source advocates point out, it can be improved by a huge community of developers if they so want.

But someone else brought up an important question, can Apple shut this down? What's that audio program that Apple hates and is trying to shut down?

Macaholic
May 12th, 2004, 07:00 PM
That program is called "Playfair". It strips the DRM out of purchased iTMS files. I can't blame them for stopping it.

IronMac
May 12th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Right...that's the one...so, can Apple legally stop it or what?

Macaholic
May 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM
I'd say that they have a right to. Whether or not they can is another question.

Eaon
May 12th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Do they really have a right to? This thing emulates the PowerPC processor, which is not Apple's exclusively. In what way would it harm Apple to use this thing to fire up, say, Yellow Dog Linux? Sure, Apple could argue over booting OSX in it, but not the program's very existence.

Edit: Wait, thread went off-track on my while I wasn't looking. Are you talking about PearPC or PlayFair?

Macaholic
May 13th, 2004, 12:53 AM
I was responding to ironmac's question about Fairplay, Eaon; not this PPC emulator ;)

PosterBoy
May 13th, 2004, 02:00 AM
can Apple legally stop [playfair]?

They can and did in the US under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

When it came back again, then hosted in India, they couldn't take it down directly (no DMCA equivalent in India) so they went after support companies (ISPs and sponsors of the hosts).

Now that it's back again, it's got a new name (Hymn) and the new owner is saying publicly that they are developing the software for fair use only, not piracy.

<blockquote>
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/05/11/playfair/index.php?redirect=1084399036000

The new release of the software is pretty much a complete rewrite, according to a posting on the two sites. The metadata from the protected AAC file downloaded from the Apple iTunes Music Store is left intact, including the Apple ID of the user who bought the song.

"This proves that our purpose is for fair use and not for piracy and should help us in our legal battles," the posting added.
</blockquote>

So it may indeed be a different story. Regardless of what happens, I am sure it'll be a heated debate in many circles for some time to come.