: McMaster Engineering Software - Advice Needed

Ryan1524
May 8th, 2004, 05:43 PM
i'm probly going to attend McMaster for Biomedical Engineering this fall. and i attended their open hosue today to see if i can gather some last minute first hand information./ i asked around about the computer requirements but nothing seems to be able to come up with definitive answers. i need to know this since i'm planning to get my first ever mac for this...and i just need to make sure that there won't be any problems.

here's a list of softwares that MES (McMaster Engineering Society) listed on their site as being reccommended for first year Eng. but i dunno anything beyond that, except that some girl mentioned MatLab being important. is THIS (http://www.mathworks.com/support/sysreq/current_release/macintosh.html) the OS X version of it?? there's only one math software called matlab right? lol.

as for that MES list, here's the list:

-Microsoft Office 2000 So much more than just word processing
-Norton/McAfee Anti-Virus You WILL get viruses otherwise!
-AutoCAD Engineering 1C04
-Borland Turbo C++ (DOS) Engineering 1D04
-Maple 7 Mathematics 1NN3 (Calculus 2)
-Adobe Photoshop 6 Picture editing software
-Corel Draw 10 Microsoft Paint times a million
-Fax software No need for a fax machine

i'm guessing they can be replaced by these??

-Office Mac 2004
-no antivirus
-AutoCAD?? what's the substitute for mac here???
-Borland Turbo C++ for mac?? does it exist? or maybe xCode or other compilers??
-Maple 7?? what can i sue to replace this??
-Photoshop - no biggie
-Corel Draw - no biggie

so yea...what can i use to replace AutoCad, Borland Turbo C++ and Maple???

i would really appreciate some mcmaster engineers giving some input for this. especially anybody who might be in biomedical engineering. but i'd be greateful for any and all comment/advice/suggestions.

thx guys. smile.gif

Terry O'Leary
May 8th, 2004, 07:50 PM
Well the developers tools have C++ (as you already seem to know.

Maple 7 exists for the Mac. here is a link ...

Maple 7 Mac install (http://www.adeptscience.co.uk/products/mathsim/maple/downloads/maple_7_install.html)

Gotta go - Supper

minnes
May 8th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Most of those have Mac equivalants , you could try codewarrior to sub for the borland compiler
I dont see why they would care how you comnpile programs, as long as they work on a PC, and I believe Codewarrior compiles both PC and Mac.
i dont know of any AutoCad software equiv for Mac, it may work under virtual PC, everything else is no problem.
I used to use Minitab, which is a Maple variant for a few math courses.
Why do you need Photoshop for Biomedical Engineering? I cant imagine using it enough to warrent the purchase of some of these programs.
I am almost 100% sure that all of these programs will be available in student labs at school for you to use-though it may be crowded and less comfrtable than at home, but the cost of buying software just for a few assignments in one course makes you think carefully.

Ryan1524
May 8th, 2004, 08:41 PM
who said anything about buying... graemlins/heybaby.gif j/k..if i use them frequent enough, i'll probly buy it.

i dunno, but it's listed on the site. maybe it's to give eye-candy to presentations and stuff. engineering doesn't mean it's all numbers and concepts...there's design involved too. as a mac user you should know that. lol.

yea, i might try autoCAD with VPC. or maybe ArchiCAD or Ashlar-Vellum's products.

and the newest version of Maple is 9.5 if i'm not mistaken, right?? wonder why they list 7. or maybe it hasn't been updated for a while.

and i also found that MatLab is available for mac. smile.gif

anybody here in eng in mac like to comment on how the computer life there is..?

Rob
May 8th, 2004, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't worry about your computer. First year Engineering is about learning fundamental principles. A good scientific calculator should be all you really need. Specialized software may be important in later years, but you can worry about that when the time comes.

Word comes in handy for typing reports. Excel is handy for doing calculations that are impractical on a calculator. Don't get hung up worrying about all the other stuff now.

Ryan1524
May 8th, 2004, 10:52 PM
it's just that i'm getting that new comp now and i'd rather know now if i'm gonna get into problems later.

btw, the software i've listed is for Year 1 as per their Eng society site.

Kami
May 9th, 2004, 01:57 PM
You should to see if Mac has an Engineering computer lab with the software installed. This would solve some of your problems with the PC only apps. As I mentioned before, ask the student who are in first year at Mac if they really use all the apps and what they do. Nop point spending a pile of dollars if you don't need to

You qualify for the education versions of the software listed so they will be significantly cheaper - buy it. smile.gif

If you must use the PC only version of a software title (e.g. Autocad) then you should consider buying an inexpensive used PC

MaxPower
May 11th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately, for any Engineering program, Auto CAD is an essential program to have.

That being said, since AutoCAD does not have a Mac version yet and all of the other Mac CAD programs are lousy at best. Therefore, I hate to say it, but you have no other option but to go with a PC.

I wouldn't even recommend you using AutoCAD with Virtual PC. It is too slow and you will not get the performance you had hoped for.

Yet I can't help but wonder why Universities are still teaching on AutoCAD. It is a dated program - something like Quark vs. InDesign. My entire design team has switched mainly to SolidWorks. A very powerful 3D CAD software. If there is a course for SolidWorks at McMaster, I strongly suggest you look into taking that.

Ryan1524
May 11th, 2004, 01:51 PM
any more suggestions to replacing Borland C++ Command line compiler/coders and AutoCAD??

thx.

Ryan1524
May 11th, 2004, 02:58 PM
how 'bout this: http://www.ashlar.com/
some poeple also mention ArchiCAD.

and it seems almost a not good enoughr eason to avoid getting a mac just because of AutoCAD. the school labs do have AutoCAD...so i can use those. i never like school labs, but i guess that's an option.

when working with AutoCAD, is it just for our purposes, or will the files ever be required to be submitted? and if they do have to be submitted, will replacements like ashlar vellum's be compatible for submission??

MaxPower
May 11th, 2004, 03:05 PM
I'm not trying to twist your arm, but for your program you would be much better off working with an application that is taught in the curriculum.

So why try to learn two applications when all you really need is one?

I love my Mac, I wouldn't trade it for the world. But if it came down to an application that I absolutely had to use, and there was no Mac version, I would get a PC. In my experience, PC's are only good for Gaming and CAD. Other than that, get a Mac.

But whatever your decision, make sure the CAD program is able to read and write .dwg and .dxf files. Both are what AutoCAD use.

Any way, good luck with your decision.

tendim
May 11th, 2004, 04:05 PM
Hi Ryan.

I got by UofT's Software Engineering on my Mac 8500. I did my first year work under OS 7.6.1 and CodeWarrior, but in second year installed Linux on a second HD. Using GCC and other applications, I was able to code anything that they could code at school, and just carry it over on a floppy, recompile, and submit.

You should be ok with OS X. Do not worry about an IDE; you'll be fine with a good text editor, Terminal.app and Apple's Dev tools (which includes gcc).

Cheers,
p.

Ryan1524
May 11th, 2004, 06:12 PM
yea, i figured the coding part of it shouldn't be a problem. but you were in Software Eng. i'm guessing they don't use much AutoCad there - this is my biggest concern right now. :(

thx for the coding advice btw. aside from codewarrior and xCode, what other alternatives do i have for multi-platform coding on OS X??

btw, i think theb title to this thread is a bit misleading. i meant the softwares used in Mcmaster eng, not the software eng stream of study. tongue.gif

i'm actually hopign to get into their Electrical and Biomedical Eng stream for level 2. (another session of competition scramble i guess. :rolleyes: ) i was hoping i can relax for a bit for 4 years. sure it'll be hard work, but at least i knwo where im'm gonna be in 4 years, but now i'll have to go through the whole competing for a spot again next year. :(
ah well. nothing good's ever easy i guess.

theanticrust
May 12th, 2004, 02:18 AM
I have to agree with MaxPower on this one.

There just isn't any industry CAD software for the Mac and I don't see there being any in the future. Apple's market are the designers, musicians, etc.

My dad is a mechanical engineer and there's no way I could get him to switch his workstation computer to a Mac.

I say buy a PC desktop and buy some cheap Apple laptop in the future for the fun stuff.

MaxPower
May 12th, 2004, 07:44 AM
There is a rumor floating around that AutoDesk is developing an OS X version of AutoCAD. But that rumor has been floating around for about a year now. AutoDesk is being VERY tight lipped about the whole thing.

Hopefully we will see AutoCAd come to the Mac.

ramopara
May 12th, 2004, 09:14 AM
I wouldn't buy any software until the 2nd or 3rd week of school, you can pick up most of stuff up thru the school or from your classmates. BTW, I don't think they use autocad for 1d04.

Ryan1524
May 12th, 2004, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't buy any software until the 2nd or 3rd week of school, you can pick up most of stuff up thru the school or from your classmates. BTW, I don't think they use autocad for 1d04.ramopara, are you a student of Mcmaster?? what stream? the Eng 1 page on MES shows Autocad as being a used software for 1C04. i couldn't find 1C04, the only 3D design class that i think might use AutoCad on the level 1 course list i'm sent only have 1C03.

if you're in Mcmaster, what programs do you think i'll need for the frist year. and do you have any idea what i might need for the level 2 and up in biomedical?? i asked around during the open house, but couldn't get any straight answer out of anybody. the Biomed student i met only said soemthing about MatLab and C++, but that's it.