: older ibook: how much is it worth?

sps
May 8th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Hey all-

I'm upgrading to a newer laptop, but am not sure how much I should ask for my older iBook. I see really dramatic price differences on eBay, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

The specs:

- 300 MHz Blueberry G3
- 288 MB RAM
- 3.1 GB HD
- Panther, Office X
- New power adaptor (purchased last year)
- CDROM replaced earlier this year (original died)
- No dead pixels
- A little bit of wear and tear on the case, but nothing substantial

Ideas? Thanks! smile.gif

monokitty
May 8th, 2004, 03:52 PM
$250.00, take a bit or less.

Macaholic
May 8th, 2004, 03:57 PM
How does Panther run on that old gal?

sps
May 8th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Panther's running great! It starts up quickly, runs smoothly, and I often forget I'm working on an older G3 (I'm used to my G4 450 MHz Powermac). It doesn't leave much room on the hard drive (after using Monolingual and removing most printer drivers I've got 1.2GB free, with basic apps and Office installed), but I'd never consider going back to OS9.

CubaMark
May 8th, 2004, 04:30 PM
SPS,

We should start a club... my Tangerine has been running OS X for a looong time now... I'm sure we could trade tips on whittling down the install size. Monolingual is great! I also tossed my OS 9 system folder once I updated the last few holdout apps to OS X. No Classic for this fella!

:cool:
M

sps
May 8th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Another detail:

The battery gets up to 3 hours and 14 minutes...

capitalK
May 8th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Yah, I'm still running on my old Tangerine iBook until I pick up my new 1.33 15" Powerbook in just over a week. Going to give this to my wife then, it just doesn't makes sense to sell it for peanuts. It has an Airport card and so will my new PowerBook so it will be a nice little machine for her to surf on and check eMail wirelessly.

She runs a 333 MHz iMac right now, so it will be about the same as she's used to but my iBook has a bigger HD (10 GB vs the iMac 6 GB, I upgraded the HD on the iBook after I started running OS X on it) and more RAM.

My old iMac is then going to my parents to use at their summer home in Newfoundland (they have a B&W G3 400 at home here in Ontario).

I haven't been just running a 5 year old iBook all this time, I originally bought it to accompany my G4 400, then I upgraded to a G4 867 a few years later. By then the iBook mostly sat around. I have been without a powerful machine for a little bit so I have been using the iBook 300 to fill the gap while I was saving for the PowerBook.