: Big 5 labels slit their own throats

Macaholic
May 7th, 2004, 11:06 AM
I CANNOT belive these guys! Check this out:

http://www.nypost.com/business/20309.htm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/07/apple_itunes_price_rises/

This will only KILL legal downloading and inrease P2P.

MannyP Design
May 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Oh boy...

Apple saves the record companies from P2P music sharing (well, at the very least they've helped people curb their downloading/sharing a little)... now they're trying to find a way to make even more money. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and they weren't fluffing CD prices, either. :mad:

Isn't the whole premise of making money off of music is because it's popular (more sales), not because it's priced higher than not-so-popular music? :confused:

capitalK
May 7th, 2004, 11:53 AM
I was getting worried there, for a minute it looked like the labels weren't money-grubbin a**holes. It's good to know that the universe is back in balance.

Macaholic
May 7th, 2004, 11:57 AM
They're exasperating to say the least, man.

NBiBooker
May 7th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I think all of the music execs should eat bleach and die.

Just like Angrybot at wearerobots.com says.

So much for my excitement about ITMS in Canada.

MannyP Design
May 7th, 2004, 12:25 PM
What's next... paying more for a popular movie? graemlins/ptptptptptpt.gif

Ohenri
May 7th, 2004, 01:04 PM
:rolleyes:

I'm all for progress, but this will outline with main issue here:

but artists and labels have to start thinking 'outside the disc' if they're to reach a new generation of consumers now empowered to buy exactly what they want. Pls - someone tell ME as the artists what I can and cannot put on my own disc, Pls tell me what I can do with my own music. Maybe the consumer should just make his own music - hey, GB! Have you ever gone in looking for shoes, not liked the the color and told the store that you will only give them a fraction? Did they agree? Lemme know...

I just feel bad that this is one of the few consumer goods that can be stripped apart by technology advancements, and as such, the buyer is seemingly holding the manufacturer AND artists hostage.

Once again, given the op - ppl will do. Correct or not.

h!

used to be jwoodget
May 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM
The ramp-up of pricing rationale is simple (apart from greed). At current prices, Apple is the only operator who can afford to make a long term go of the business because it's profits primarily come from iPod sales. Sony is trying this strategy with its MiniDisc devices (its dead already, Sony). But the other companies want to maximize their profits by driving up priices so other companies (including, presumably, themselves) can make money on distribution.

Meanwhile, they appear oblivious to their own achilles heel (that the artists no longer need them).

Macaholic
May 7th, 2004, 01:17 PM
How about this:

How about the artists tell the labels to go SCREW THEMSELVES, because Apple will provide them direct uploading access to the iTMS with a universal distribution agreement. iTMS becomes the THE SOURCE for music. I know that this is rediculously simplistic -- there are other mechanisms required for an artist to do their thing... but is it THAT crazy? i suppose however that Apple Computer will once and for all have to buy Apple Corp FIRST! graemlins/ptptptptptpt.gif

Ohenri
May 7th, 2004, 02:59 PM
How about the artists tell the labels to go SCREW THEMSELVES, because Apple will provide them direct uploading access to the iTMS with a universal distribution agreement. iTMS becomes the THE SOURCE for music. I know that this is rediculously simplistic -- there are other mechanisms required for an artist to do their thing... but is it THAT crazy in milder terms, that is happening. But why post a song, when no one knows about it? Labels have the $$ and the marketing power/network. BTW, as much as I defend labels, I do know they have shortcomings - I used to work @ a major. But they are just investing in careers, and looking after their interests as well. We never really need labels, but artists need to assess where they want to be. That's all. We (my partners and I) have a great deal with our distributing label: own masters and world rights as well. We also own our own publishing, enabling us to do as we pls. Not always - often actually - not the case with bands. Though that is changing. Thus why some bands have no rights to their masters: they don't own em. Signed them away... But this is harder to get out to be known when you have to use your own $$. Not easy...

H!

Macaholic
May 7th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Labels have the $$ and the marketing power/network. Well, that's where a known "destination" like the iTMS would help. If people know where to go, then they'll find the artists -- at one location, though; not the label-specific entities.

Anyway, it's pie-in-the-sky. If that were to happen, the iTMS inventory would dry up with the labels (and their publishing companies) pulling their stock out of the store. Its too big a mountain to climb. Maybe as the years go by, the internet will continue to democratize this process?

capitalK
May 7th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Apple has denied the price hike. Seems they have a multi-year deal for 99

http://www.macminute.com/2004/05/07/itms

TiGuy
May 7th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Apple's denial leads me to believe that these supposed contracts might be for the Canadian iTunes Music Store - at $1.25 CANADIAN per track, could this make sense?

Macaholic
May 7th, 2004, 04:00 PM
God, WHO KNOWS anymore :(

used to be jwoodget
May 7th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Hope so....

BTW, the answer to the question of how does anyone find out about your music if you publish directly to iTMS is revealed in the free- iTunes strategy. In one week 500,000 free tracks were downloaded. People are prepared to give new artists a chance if they don't have to pay and once hooked, are likely to delve deeper. It doesn't even have to be free. Why not have unknown artists release 20c tracks along with a bio about themselves.

Combine this with some new artist iMixes and you'll have ready packaged genres along with peer reviews on line. Who wouldn't want that exposure? Also, it provides incentive for quality control. The crap will drop off the charts.

Macaholic
May 7th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Also, it provides incentive for quality control. The crap will drop off the charts. Could be. Man, what would the music landscape be like without the Star Making Machinery behind the popular staaaaaars?