: Coffee can antenna for free WiFi with iBook???

brock
May 7th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Hi all.

Just down the street from my workshop is, luckily, a nice neighbourhood Mac Reseller who offers free WiFi. My iBook will stay connected up to half way, but no more, so I want to make a directional antenna from a coffee can and stick it on the roof for a good line of site.

What I don't understand is how the signal gets from the antenna on the roof to the AirportCard's antenna in the iBook -- Is it even possible? All I've seen on the net is for hardwiring a pc with a pigtail deelybop....

Ok,
B

Lawrence
May 7th, 2004, 07:46 AM
It doesn't seem worth trying...
The guys just going to disallow your MAC address as soon
as he finds that you are logged into his network too much.

Dave :cool:

Macified
May 7th, 2004, 11:07 AM
The coffee-can antenna replaces the antenna in your iBook. You will be voiding any warranty but it that's not an issue for you then go for it.

There are a couple of sites outlining how to size and build the antenna and then how to connect it. I even remember seeing a commercial version of a can antenna.

Sorry I don't have any links for you. Try google for wi-fi antenna sites.

brock
May 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks - I couldn't find any Mac-specifics sites.... It'd be a breeze with a PC.

I have the store's blessing on this -- For the good of the world, they provide a free access point.

Macified
May 7th, 2004, 04:09 PM
A google search for "cantenna" turned up a TechTV page which made alot of sense.

In essence you want to get a wireless router that has two antennas and replace one with a cantenna. They didn't specify but the router probably has to support bridging so that it can pick up the signal on the cantenna and pass it out using the built-in omni-directional antenna. For best results you'll want a router which has removeable antennas and pick up a pig-tail connector that will allow you to connect the cantenna. Otherwise you will have to hack the unit and put your own antanna jack in. There were instructions listed for a couple of routers.

Good luck.

brock
May 7th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Thanks Macified! You're a finer Googler than I.
This is gonna be cool.

Vexel
Mar 29th, 2005, 08:19 AM
THink I'm going to build one of these baby's too :)

Lawrence
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:21 AM
How To Build A Tin Can Waveguide WiFi Antenna (http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html)

:)

HowEver
Mar 29th, 2005, 12:28 PM