: non Apple 17" LCD's to recommend

focal
May 5th, 2004, 10:22 AM
curious which one people recommend.

VGA or DVI is fine...I understand the specs...but would like to narrow the search down quickly

this will be my daily monitor

price range for most 17" LCD's I see are in the 500-600 range....

MacGenius
May 5th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Our company has standardized on the Samsung line of LCDs. I can't say enough good things about them. The Apple stuff is really nice, don't get me wrong but the price point hurts some people.

focal
May 5th, 2004, 11:59 AM
thanks...which models?

MBD
May 5th, 2004, 10:39 PM
What is also nice about the Samsungs is they offer 3 years warranty that includes the backlight, which is good peace of mind when you spend a considerable amount of cash.

oatmeal
May 5th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Go Samsung... everyone I know uses Samsung and have never complained about them. 3 year warranty doesn't hurt either. A model you may want to consider ... 172W Silver (16:9)... Best Digital LCD monitor I have seen to date (other than Apple's gorgeous models)... Well worth a look if anything.

brock
May 6th, 2004, 02:52 AM
I would get a Formac 17" myself (actually I want the 20"!) -- The specs are very good -- It's brighter, sharper and faster and cheaper than an Apple. The LCD is made by Fujitsu. The dot pitch is .27 -- which is better than Samsung's .29. I wouldn't buy a monitor with a dot pitch over .27. I think .25 to .27 is ideal.

http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery1740_01

Check the 'compare' button....

Ohenri
May 6th, 2004, 05:51 AM
W/o having used/bought a samsung yet, I will go ahead of recommend them as well. A possibly lesser known fact is that - if I recall - they manufacture the Apple LCDs. :eek:

This is direct from a samsung expatriate who dropped a few more bombs on me as well.

Good luck

H!

capitalK
May 6th, 2004, 10:55 AM
I sold a Samsung 173T to a customer last week, he's been raving about it since. 17", .26 mm dot pitch, DVI and VGA inputs, 1280x1024 and probably my favorite feature: it can pivot to portrait mode. It is available in silver and black and I think after I recover financially from buying my new Powerbook I will buy one for myself.

Here's a thorough review from MonkeyReview.com (http://www.monkeyreview.com/reviews/review.php?num=286)

oryxbiker
May 7th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Those Formac LCD's look like cheap rip offs of apple's monitors.

brock
May 7th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Re: Formac... Funny that a cheap Apple rip-off would be technically superior in every way.... Especially the 17" and the 20". They look awesome in person.

Those Samsungs look pure PC to me (i.e. they look good on fire.)

monokitty
May 7th, 2004, 05:51 PM
The Formac LCD's aren't "cheap" rip-off's of Apple's LCD's - they're "superior" rip-off's of Apple's LCD's. ;) They look better physically and are technically better than Apple's LCD's in every way, as already mentioned. They're also award-winning displays. Nothing cheap about 'em!

Macaholic
May 7th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Can you get the Formacs up here??

brock
May 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
You bet. Check their 'Where to buy' button -- must be 20 places in T.O. I'd buy one if I had a machine to run it with....

More droolage here:
http://www.mmhk.com/e/products/formac/displays/gallery1740.htm

[ May 08, 2004, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: brock ]