: Use Omnigraffle for layout?

(( p g ))
May 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM
A question for the many graphic-design inclined pros on ehMac. I'm updating my company brochure (a standard 8.5x11 sheet that I save and distribute as a PDF file).

In the past, I've used Word and converted the file to PDF, but there are so many limitations with what you can do with that application (in terms of layout). I'm considering using Omnigraffle for the layout, since it does such a great job of rendering rounded boxes with a shadowing effect. As I understand it, I can save at 300 dpi and convert to PDF, EPS or JPG.

Anyone tried using Omnigraffle for this kind of job? Are there any downsides that I'm not aware of?

dthompson101
May 5th, 2004, 12:23 AM
Personally, I love omnigraffle! I use it for all my server and network layouts for clients and the program has always run flawlessly. I don't think I have ever had the app crash.

They are from a company that has been support the NeXT OS and now Mac OS X for years....

I say pick it up, it's a kickass app!

focal
May 5th, 2004, 09:52 AM
looks like they have a demo to try first....

playing with it RIGHT NOW....

it has a lot of the basic controls for simple layout....

NBiBooker
May 5th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I do professional newspaper design as well as flyers, ads, etc.

I prefer Adobe InDesign. It's simply the best layout software out there, IMHO.

(( p g ))
May 5th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Thanks everyone for the great feedback (including those of you who PM'd). I'm going to give Omnigraffle Pro a try. I know that inDesign is considered the new gold standard in layout but I just find the thing is way too overwhleming for my puny brain (to say nothing about the price tag). My biggest concern was being able to save and forward my work as an EPS later on, should I need to hire a graphic artist to handle a bigger job.