: Washed, dried my Nano and it still works! BUT...

powz
Sep 4th, 2007, 03:25 PM
My nano plays music and even the screen's fine after going through my washer and dryer! But the problem is that it only works when plugged directly into the wall -- it says low batteries and won't turn on even when plugged into my MBP. I suspect the battery is fried, though could this be an indication something else is wrong?

Related to this, who would you guys recommend I go to get my battery replaced? I don't really want to do it myself as I've read the battery's soldered on.

Thanks all.

mactrombone
Sep 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Hang in there. I did the same thing with my nano and had exactly the same problem although it took a little longer to get to the point that you're at. Mine came back 100% after a few weeks and I had also considered getting the battery replaced. I would just wait and be patient to see whether it gets better. It likely will.

Good luck.

powz
Sep 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Hey, that's great to know. Thanks for sharing... just saved me from replacing my battery...or entire iPod. Got to give it to Apple...it's really quite amazing that the little nano turns on at all, let alone possibly go back to 100% after all that! Maybe when they designed the Nano, they kinda knew this would happen...:D

infinity8
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM
All the more reason to get the new ipods. Or do it yourself battery change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UamycztRUt8&mode=related&search=

powz
Sep 5th, 2007, 05:14 PM
All the more reason to get the new ipods. Or do it yourself battery change.

True, I do have an excuse to get one of the new iPods. Maybe that's what I was subconciously thinking when I let it in the wash just a couple days before Apple's announcement :D But I'm not really a fan of the new nano "phatties" myself (washed out colour, fat design) and the iPod Classic design is getting, well, old :rolleyes: The only one I'd consider getting is the iPod touch, but it's a bit out of my price range atm ...plus the iPhone would probably be the better choice (if it ever comes to Canada...).

powz
Sep 9th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Hang in there. I did the same thing with my nano and had exactly the same problem although it took a little longer to get to the point that you're at. Mine came back 100% after a few weeks and I had also considered getting the battery replaced. I would just wait and be patient to see whether it gets better. It likely will.

Good luck.

Hi all, just as an update...my nano's working at 100% again! It's finally holding a charge and today I used it while walking my dog. Almost like new (except for a few scratches). Thanks mactrombone, great advice!

mactrombone
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:49 AM
No problem! That advice is right up my alley–sit and wait.

Cheers

powz
Sep 10th, 2007, 12:14 PM
No problem! That advice is right up my alley–sit and wait.

Cheers

:D

zlinger
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:12 PM
I heard that after you wash, spin, and dry it.... you can just put it into the microwave for 60 seconds, and the battery will come back to life fully energized beejacon

aab01
Sep 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Lol!

VictorDTarsus
Sep 12th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I heard that after you wash, spin, and dry it.... you can just put it into the microwave for 60 seconds, and the battery will come back to life fully energized beejacon

You might energize it, but everything else might be cooked to oblivion. Just use an excuse like that to get a new iPod, preferablly either an iPod Touch or one those sweet 160GB iPod Classics.

Though it was not my iPod, I washed my crapy Telus cellphone and to get it dried up, I hung it from a coat hanger underneath a furnace register for a week. It still works, though I lose more calls in my room because of all the wireless networking my Mac Mini performs which screws up my reception where it never did before.