: From a Windows Vista non-hater...

dona83
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I'm almost embarrassed to say this, but I've had no issues with my brand new Windows Vista system at work so far. I think there's no real compelling reason for an existing XP user to upgrade unless they're getting a new system but for day to day production at work, it's quite stable and the UI is really pretty i hate to say. They even did a decent job of ripping off Apple's Flurry screensaver haha. We'll see if Vista is the next XP... I remembered singing praises to how fast and stable XP was for the first two years only to have it go completely downhill 2 years later with viruses, spyware, etc. galore.

Two years later I'm still singing praises to Mac OS X Tiger.

guytoronto
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:22 PM
I find Vista's interface confusing and convoluted.

hUssain
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I hear vista either works or doesn't. I seem to be one of the people who has it working (on 2 computers for that matter). It's a good jump from XP (minus some of the features) I think the thing that is keeping Vista down is sub-par hardware or too strict hardware requirements. HP, Dell, and others, offer on-board Video card memory, outdated processors (but that's getting better), then they blame vista. Vista UI in my opinion gets old quickly.

But it's still no tiger. And Leopard might just prove that all that hardware isn't needed to make your OS better.

SoyMac
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
dona83, I'll assume that you also have the absolute latest hardware, to meet Vista's requirements.
I've seen Vista (not used it), and the UI still looks cartoony to me, compared to the Apple OS. I know that's a subtle difference, but I think it's one of the things that symbolises the difference between Apple and MS, Apple's attention to detail and even style.

dona83
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Core 2 Duo E6600 and ATI Radeon 1650XT, brand new computers for our brand new startup company... not the greatest but it seems to be running fine so far. I really don't mind the UI but the default colours are not the greatest. Setting it to black makes it look so much nicer. Flip3D is useless but window preview on the taskbar is nice. The Start Menu is even more confusing than ever. Same with Control Panel items... confusing. It's pretty fast so far but then again as a production computer I don't plan to bog it down with useless stuff. Overall it's a big jump to the equivalent of somewhere between Panther and Leopard. Like SoyMac says, whereas you can run Tiger on 5 year old, or even older, machines... good luck trying to get Vista to run on a 5 year old PC.

zoziw
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I was just making a post agreeing with dona83's first post and giving Vista some of the praise that I think it deserves when I got my very first BSOD on Vista.

It isn't going to show on my reliability monitor until tomorrow, but I will try to remember to post it.

This is just weird. :confused:

zoziw
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM

Here it is

dona83
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I think we jynxed ourselves. I'll have nothing but problems come Monday. :D

zoziw
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I haven't had any problems with it since UT2004 crashed in early August (right when I was showing it off to my Mac using nephew) :D

hUssain
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Flip3D is useless but window preview on the taskbar is nice. The Start Menu is even more confusing than ever. Same with Control Panel items... confusing.

Flip 3D is quite useless, cool, but really useless. I like the new star menu because I just type the app name and hit enter, but if you try to navigate it is quite inefficient. The Control Panel makes less than XP, it has no idea if it wants to open a new window or just stay in the new window, and it's gotten more disorganized than before. It's a pain trying to set it up the way you like it.

dona83
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM
UT2004 on Windows? I have the Mac version. It's still my favourite game to this day. :D

darkscot
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM

Here it is

This is the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

zoziw
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
UT2004 on Windows? I have the Mac version. It's still my favourite game to this day. :D

I have it for the Mac as well but I lost the DVD two years ago and have not been able to find it anywhere in the house. It worked well even on my iBook.