: Can a faulty logic board fry RAM?

bkh
Jun 24th, 2007, 01:10 AM
G5 iMac 1.8 GB, 1 GB Kingston (2 matched 512 sticks) OS10.4.9, Applecare.

I have had 3 problems with this computer in just over 2 years: I replaced the midplane when it was just out of the box; one year ago, Mac tech replaced the logic board for leaking capacitors, and indicated at that time that one stick of RAM was defective (set replaced by Kingston); just got iMac back from Mac tech for another bout of leaking capacitors on the replaced logic board and (surprise) another bad RAM module.

My question: can the faulty logic board blow the RAM? There was never any indication that I was working with less than perfect RAM- speed, stability, no lost data or sleeping and waking quirkiness. But the Tech said that there was no connection between LB and RAM.

What will Kingston say about having to replace another pair of RAM that was already a replacement. Would they be justified in making inquiries about the soundness of the machine itself? I kind of think that they would.

I am also a bit p/o-ed. The leaking capacitor issue was identified over a year ago but they seemed to think it was OK to reinstall possible defective parts on the chance that, what, my warranty would expire before they would have to deal with the problem again?

Had I known that the issue was a repeat, I would have been really angling for a new unit from Apple(under their informal '3 strikes' policy), but it was repaired before I was told what the problem was. I actually thought that it was the power source.

And what does this do to my warranty coverage which expires in 6 months? Is the clock somehow "reset" on an issue that has been identified before?

Thanks in advance.

krs
Jun 25th, 2007, 02:44 AM
I thought somebody would have answered this by now:

"Can a faulty logic board fry RAM?"

Can............yes-definitely
Did it in your specific case...........no idea; if you're thinking that the defective capacitors may have caused that.......yes, that's definitely possible, depends what the function of the capacitors were in the circuit and how their value and voltage rating changed due to the leakage.

As to the warranty. I don't think any "warranty clock" is reset but someone more familiar with Apple's policy can answer that better.

John Clay
Jun 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM
If memory serves, Apple repairs are covered for 90 days after the repair, or for the remainder of your AppleCare - whichever is longer. Exceptions do occur, of course, where Apple has initiated a recall/repair program for certain parts.

CanadaRAM
Jun 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM
We have seen issues where RAM that worked with the original logic board doesn't with the replacement part. I think there was a silent logic board upgrade that happened that changed the compatibility with RAM (yes, even Kingston, Crucial and Certified RAM that was tested and fully compliant at the time the iMac G5 came out.) In any case, there should be no problem getting a repacement under warranty from Kingston.

If you plan to keep this machine, there would be a good argument to buy Applecare before the year runs out. As John said, replacement parts have a 90 day warranty only.

krs
Jun 25th, 2007, 02:42 PM
If you plan to keep this machine, there would be a good argument to buy Applecare before the year runs out. As John said, replacement parts have a 90 day warranty only.

From the original post, it sounds to me as if the OP is already into the second year of Applecare at this point in time.
I assume one can't buy a second three-year period of Applecare after the first period expired.

CanadaRAM
Jun 25th, 2007, 09:58 PM
From the original post, it sounds to me as if the OP is already into the second year of Applecare at this point in time.
I assume one can't buy a second three-year period of Applecare after the first period expired.
Ah OK, I didn't catch that.
Thx

bkh
Jun 26th, 2007, 10:52 PM
to all. New RAM is on its way. I'm still a bit concerned that my next seemingly annual LB failure will fall outside the limit of my Applecare. This machine has been the most problematic of the 7 Macs that I've owned.

Again, I appreciate the help.