: Can my PB 17" burn a re-writeable dvd?

macmac
Jun 21st, 2007, 11:36 PM
Hi folks, I was at my brother-in-laws house the other day and I was trying to burn some data for him on a dvd. My PB however would not recognize the dvd. We tried a couple of them and it didn't recognize them. We tried them in the PC and they were working just fine.

Any ideas? It's a PB 17" 1.67ghz

this is what i have.

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845E:

Firmware Revision: DMP2
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: No

Vexel
Jun 22nd, 2007, 12:58 AM
My first guess would be that it's the media. Some Macs (read most) are very picky as to what they will burn/erase.

I usually try to stick to a major brand, usually Verbatim or Memorex. I've had spindles and spindles of other brands that won't work with my Mac, so I give them to a PC using buddy and they work fine for them.

As you've probably noted, your drive is very capable of burning/rewriting CD/DVD RW's. If there's a problem burning with a major brand, I would suggest having it looked at.. but otherwise, there's probably no issue at all.

macmac
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
The DVD hardware is a MATSHITA DVD-R what does the -R refer to?

Vexel
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:28 AM
DVD-R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R)

DVD+R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD%2BR)

They're basically 2 different formats. Much like BlueRay and HD-DVD are these days..

As for the -R signification on the drive, I assume it's just to show that it's a DVD-Rewrite capable burner.

macmac
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:55 AM
thanks for the info. I did notice the comp. says it can burn:

CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW

but i was confused when the hardware DVD itself read as: MATSHITA DVD-R. With only the -R listed (in the title of the drive) I thought maybe it could only do one type. I'll re-check the media type we had used.

macmac
Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM
I just asked..the discs we were trying to burn were sony. I would imagine Sony is a good brand name

Vexel
Jun 23rd, 2007, 05:38 AM
Have you tried any other brands? Sony's are generally great disks.. but before you jump the gun.. give some others a shot.

Do you have Applecare on the Powerbook?