: How to make OSX a smaller install?

MACinist
Jun 13th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Does anyone know what the useless features of OSX are to a regular user and how I remove them? I want to free up some space on my Macbook and would like to remove the language files and anything else that I will never use as I heard these take up a lot of space. Wondering if I can do this without reinstalling OSX or if I re-install, how would I choose which options to bypass....

wytwolf
Jun 13th, 2007, 10:56 PM
i think most ppl use delocalizer to remove unused languages.

CubaMark
Jun 13th, 2007, 11:29 PM
I personally prefer to cut the non-essential stuff during the install phase, rather than try to delete bits without messing up the OS (Monolingual, for example, caused a few problems with Classic / Rosetta - not sure about Delocalizer).

When doing an install, you can choose to "Customize" the install, and pick-and-choose the bits you want.

Apart from cutting out the languages you don't use, I personally cut ALL of the printer drivers, since I'd rather install the printer software that is the most up-to-date from the manufacturer's website.

Languages and Printer Drivers- possibly the two largest parts of the install that you don't need, with the possible exception of the templates in iDVD, iPhoto, Pages, etc. that you might or might not want.

M

Heart
Jun 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM
http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

Monolingual:
Monolingual is a program for removing unnecessary language resources from Mac OS X, in order to reclaim several hundred megabytes of disk space. It requires at least Mac OS X 10.3.9 (Panther) and also works on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

I don't know about you, but I use my computer in only one (human) language — English. And I'm willing to bet that you do too, albeit perhaps not English. So why do you have a bunch of localization files for the Mac OS X operating system filling up your hard drive? Enter Monolingual — a handy utility for reclaiming your space for more useful things… like international mp3 files, email or whatever you like.

I use it for the languages, the keyboard layouts, I am a little wary of the Architectures.

mr.steevo
Jun 14th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Hi,

GarageBand is large, as is iDVD and iMovie. My iBook doesn't have a DVD burner so iDVD and iMovie are not used in my case.

s.

interlude
Jun 14th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Tick off languages + printer drivers. Don't need'em.

krs
Jun 14th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Tick off languages + printer drivers. Don't need'em.

Except for the ones you do need of course:D

Can one actually just remove specific languages and keep others? I would need French, Spanish and German.

And on the print drivers, I had a bit of a surprise when the Brother support people, trying to resolve an issue with the Brother MFC unit I'm using, also wiped out the print driver for my Epson 880 printer.
Turns out there is no print driver for the Epson 880 on the Epson website for OS 10.4.
I was in panic city for a while trying to figure out how I could reinstall from a back-up until I found a description of print drivers on the Apple website and it references some generic piece of software that works quite well.

messed_kid
Jun 14th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Big Bang Boardgames is just over 200mb. Too large for my taste. ;)

*Delete*

eMacMan
Jun 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Can one actually just remove specific languages and keep others? I would need French, Spanish and German.

And on the print drivers, I had a bit of a surprise when the Brother support people, trying to resolve an issue with the Brother MFC unit I'm using, also wiped out the print driver for my Epson 880 printer.

Delocalizer let's you pick the languages you want to remove. I am not sure if it has been updated since the Jaguar days, so be sure your system is backed up.

I will second Garage Band and iDVD as Disk hawgs. If you do not need them, remove them or avoid installing them.

Again after backing up; trim iTunes and iPhoto of deadwood. Fairly labour intensive with both apps, but well worth the effort.

Kosh
Jun 14th, 2007, 06:06 PM

I think, but I'm not sure that the Installer allows you to select which languages to install... ie. it wouldn't be able to assume you want english only or french only. But I can't remember for sure... it was a couple of months when I did the intial install on my Mac Pro.

CubaMark
Jun 14th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Yes you can choose which languages to keep / delete.

M

Call me 'Sherman'
Jun 14th, 2007, 07:02 PM
An wasy way to free up a few GBs is to delete the iDVD and Garageband content, assuming you don't need these apps.

About 4GB over there. It's all located in /Macintosh HD/Library/Applications Support/.

Worst comes to worst, you can reinstall these from the install DVDs.

samanthauur
Jun 15th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Interesting, this is cool, nearly made my day

apple ipod coupon
Best Gift Downloads - Software Downloads DVD Video Tools ScreenSavers & Computer Software (http://www.giftdownload.net)

MACinist
Jun 22nd, 2007, 01:15 AM
So I used Monolingual on my girlfriends' Macbook and I saved 2.4 gigs by just erasing the languages. Has anyone tried removing any of the keyboard layouts and architectures on an Intel Mac?

sadponyguerillaboy
Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:37 PM
check out a program called pacifist. lets you add and remove packages.

i'm curently looking how to extract just the osx part of the install from my macbook pro cd's to make a basic osx intel install that i can use on any intel mac.